Data Protection Lawyer
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 20 Apr 19
Data Protection Lawyer
Within the professional services environment, the application of risk management procedures is fundamental to the successful delivery of our client services and promotion of our brand. Risk management encompasses the technical support and processes which underpin the delivery of service quality, contain the threat of litigation, limit damage to our reputation and achieve full fee recovery.
At Ernst & Young ("EY"), the Risk Management (RM) group is responsible for the promotion and support of risk management within the business. RM's aim is to uphold our business standards, maintain and enhance the value of the firm, and ensure that the UK&I firm complies with the rules and regulations imposed either by external regulators or by Ernst & Young Global in relation to the conduct of our business.
There is a vacancy at manager level for a data protection lawyer to support the UK Data Protection Officer (DPO) and the business in complying with all relevant DP legislation.
Your key responsibilities
You will enjoy a challenging workload, supporting the business via the prompt delivery of pragmatic, adaptable and commercial legal and compliance advice. You will ensure the firm's compliance with applicable privacy legislation, currently the EU General Data Protection Regulation; the Data Protection Act 2018; and the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations.
You will be specifically responsible for:
Advising, drafting and negotiating data protection terms within contracts, master service agreements, complex framework agreements and tenders;
Providing legal advice to the firm's service lines, in particular:
>The privacy implications of new and emerging technologies and services;
>The rights of data subjects, notably within the employment context;
>the implications of upcoming legislative and political developments, such as Brexit and the e-Privacy Regulation;
- - Reviewing and updating internal policies and procedures;
- - Responding to queries from the business on data protection; and
- - Implementation of the EY Global Privacy Framework within the UK firm.
Skills and attributes for success
- Ability to provide clear and practical legal advice and support with a high degree of professionalism;
- Strong team player with excellent negotiation and communication skills;
- Proven ability to establish and maintain a high degree of confidentiality, respect, trust and credibility at all levels;
- Ability to plan, organise and prioritise tasks and projects;
- Ability to remain calm, controlled and resilient in a fast and pressurised environment; and
To qualify for the role you must have
- Approximately 5 or more years of post-qualification legal experience, with strong data protection knowledge
Ideally, you'll also have
- CIPP/E, ISEB Certificate or equivalent Data Privacy qualification
What we look for
You will be an experienced Data Protection lawyer with the ability to work within a complex matrix organisation.
What working at EY offers
We offer a competitive remuneration package where you'll be rewarded for your individual and team performance. Our comprehensive Total Rewards package includes support for flexible working and career development, and with FlexEY you can select benefits that suit your needs, covering holidays, health and well-being, insurance, savings and a wide range of discounts, offers and promotions. Plus, we offer:
- Support, coaching and feedback
- Opportunities to develop new skills and progress your career
- The freedom and flexibility to handle your role in a way that's right for you
EY is committed to being an inclusive employer and we are happy to consider flexible working arrangements. We strive to achieve the right balance for our people, enabling us to deliver excellent client service whilst allowing you to build your career without sacrificing your personal priorities. Our flexible working arrangements can help you to achieve a lifestyle balance.
As a global leader in assurance, tax, transaction and advisory services, we're using the finance products, expertise and systems we've developed to build a better working world. That starts with a culture that believes in giving you the training, opportunities and creative freedom to make things better. Whenever you join, however long you stay, the exceptional EY experience lasts a lifetime. And with a commitment to hiring and developing the most passionate people, we'll make our ambition to be the best employer by 2020 a reality.
If you can confidently demonstrate that you meet the criteria above, please contact us as soon as possible.
Join us in building a better working world.
Apply now. #LI-P