- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 20 Apr 19
Based in London and working in our data engineering team, you'll be helping us develop our data lake and data warehouse. We have users sending money from 50 countries to over 150 countries - and we're expanding. The work is varied, from creating new products and features to improving existing functionality, we strive to build a better customer experience and a better codebase. This is real growth at pace.
You will be using AWS, Python and SQL to interpret data from a wide range of sources and deliver it to all parts of the business, for example Finance, Operations and Marketing. Our data lake is currently 20TB in size and growing.
- Writing great code . We understand code is read more than it's written, better off tested and maintainability is a must.
- Helping shape what we build . You'll be working closely with product owners, designers and other engineers to design and refine our work. We work as a team and your input is key.
- Owning delivery . We're obsessed with shipping value; you'll own work beyond just a pull request. You'll care about bugs, scalability, uptime and other non-functional requirements.
- Growing together . You'll review other's work and happily seek feedback on yours to ensure we build a better codebase and sharpen each other's skills.
What we are looking for:
- A skilled Data Engineer. You are experienced in building complex ETL pipelines using Python.
- Solid SQL experience. You can not only interact with a database but design new schemata.
- Experience of the AWS stack . You have some previous experience of working with the AWS toolset.
- Big- d ata experience. You have some knowledge of big data related tools and techniques (data lakes, distributed processing platforms, streaming technologies).
- Happy in the Clouds . Our Cloud Native platform is hosted in AWS and Azure. You'll be comfortable working with a system that supports users from around the world, at scale.
- Well-principled . Especially in the craft of Software Engineering - you will understand deeply: modularity, testability, extensibility, scalability and other -ilities.
- Bias for action . You see a problem, you fix a problem. You get buy in for your solutions and keep tickets moving. We're always looking for ways to ship at pace.
- Growth mindset . A willingness to use your skills and experience to mentor less-experienced engineers. A desire to learn from others and make yourself better every day.
- Agile outlook . You need to be excited about working in a fast-changing environment. Products, tools, frameworks and processes change, we evolve and take the best bits with us. The teams drive the evolution.
Who we are:
We're changing the way people send money abroad. We're taking something complicated and making it simple. Our people and our technology work together to create faster, easier and lower cost money transfers. We send to more than 150 countries around the world and have over 3 million happy customers - a number that's growing every day. After all, 120,000 5★ reviews can't be wrong!
We believe in helping our customers' hard work go further. We've helped millions of children to go to school, helped thousands of people to receive medical treatment and, every week, we help tens of thousands of people to pay their bills. But most importantly, we do it all with the creativity, imagination and colourful spirit of our customers.
The work we're doing is making a splash in the fintech industry too. Accel Partners and Technology Crossover Ventures have invested $140 million in us - and as early backers of the likes of Facebook, Spotify and Netflix, we know we're in good company! Not only that, but we're also a member of TechCity UK's prestigious FutureFifty.
Changing the world isn't easy, but we're hoping to find the right people to join us on our way. If you think differently, believe in new solutions to old problems and have the drive to make things happen, you might just be what we're looking for.