Data Center Operations Technical Project Manager
This role is a unique opportunity to work in some of the most cutting edge data centres in the world. Amazon data centres are large-scale high-density centres where you will be working on changing the face of Cloud technology in the region. This role is based in the Greater Western London Area.
As a Data Centre Operations (DCO) Technical Project Manager you will work as a hands on part of the Operations team, whose primary responsibility is the running and maintaining of DCO projects, maintenance and upkeep of the datacentre. Our ideal candidate possesses a natural curiosity, sharp analytical skills and is excited to pioneer on behalf of customers. This role requires hands-on project management skills, deep technical expertise, and excellent leadership skills. You will be responsible for collecting business and systems requirements from internal and external customers, writing specifications and driving project schedules. You will also be responsible for setting project management standards, expectations and delivering large, cross functional projects within the datacenter. You will apply both business and technical acumen in a fast-paced, ambiguous and innovative environment.
• Apply project management methodology to manage scope, plan work, coordinate resource deployment on tasks, analyse risks/develop mitigation strategies and proactively identify and resolve issues.
• Own goals involving cross functional projects and stakeholder management.
• Solve customer projects by applying technical and problem solving skills.
• Provide leadership and perspective, and drive stakeholders to decisions in ambiguous situations.
• Apply continuous improvement methodologies to analyse and understand existing processes and workflows.
• Develop and manage detailed program schedules and report weekly progress and risks to senior leadership teams across multiple sites and functions.
• Participate in team meetings for metric analysis and daily/weekly goals achievement.
• Contribute to the development of other team members.
• Maintain a high level of system reliability by prioritizing and resolving trouble tickets efficiently as the escalation point and technical troubleshooter for Systems and Network hardware problems.
• Confident working in a Linux and CLI environment, and working with pre-written network configurations.
• Install & configure racks of hosts in line with internal SLAs
• Physical replacement of server and network device parts
• Ensure correct life cycle of parts & spares
• Help define metrics to increase our customer uptime
• Enforcing Amazons Security Best Practices
• Interact with third party vendors & contractors
• Contribute ideas to improve operational efficiency
• Engage with Remote Hands & Eyes in local Cloudfront POPs and Transit Sites
• Share knowledge and help educate less technical staff on the best practices related to all service owner issues
• Contribute towards building a great team by getting involved in the Amazon hiring process/candidate interviews BASIC QUALIFICATIONS
• 3+ years of relevant Data Centre Operations experience.
• Experience working as a hands-on, technical project lead in data centre environments
• Proven track record of driving projects involving tech complexity, ambiguity and dependency on multiple tech/non-tech stakeholders.
• Experience in managing projects across cross functional teams, building sustainable processes and coordinating schedules.
• Experience and proven skill in written and verbal business communications, including writing white papers, designing organizational communications, reporting metrics, generating useful management and control reports, and articulating business cases for executive audiences.
• Solid knowledge of computer hardware systems.
• Ability to work well with others in a team environment, displaying excellent time management skills.
• Server Hardware Troubleshooting experience
• Server Booting: POST, BIOS, PXE, Kickstart, GRUB/LILO, RAID
• Some Experience with Network Protocols: TCP/IP, Ethernet, L2/L3 technologies
• Network Hardware: Copper and Optical Fiber Cabling, Switches, Routers
• Project Management skills
• Passionate about IT infrastructure and hardware!
* This position also has a physical component requiring the ability to lift & rack equipment up to 40lbs; it may require working in cramped spaces or in elevated locations while adhering to health & safety guidelines.
* Applicant must have the ability to travel between multiple datacentre geographical locations PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS
• Solid Understanding of Linux/Unix Administration
• Experience with one of the following connection protocols/technologies: SSH, TELNET, IPMI, Integrated Lights Out, iDRAC
• Network Equipment Installation and Configuration
• Cisco IOS, NX-OS, JunOS, Aruba
• Redundancy: Power feeds, ATS, Server Hardware, RAID, Network Connectivity
• Data Centre Operations: Inventory Management, Hot/Cold Aisles, Security
• Experience with Excel and the ability to manipulate data and create necessary charts and diagrams
• Project Management Certification
• Experience or Knowledge of AWS products: EC2, EBS, S3 etc.
• Basic Scripting: Bash, Python, Perl, Ruby (or programming languages)