Cloud (GCP) Data Engineer
GFT is driving the digital transformation of the world’s leading financial institutions. Other sectors, such as industry and insurance, also leverage GFT’s strong consulting and implementation skills across all aspects of pioneering technologies, such as cloud engineering, artificial intelligence, the Internet of Things for Industry 4.0, and blockchain.
With its in-depth technological expertise, strong partnerships, and scalable IT solutions, GFT increases productivity in software development. This provides clients with faster access to new IT applications and innovative business models, while also reducing risk.
We are looking for a Data Engineer to join the GFT team and help build out our rapidly expanding digital transformation business. This position will be based in London, but international travel may be required. The potential and variety of the work that GFT is supporting our clients with is truly mind-blowing. Ideally, you will have public cloud experience, but if you are strong in other areas and want to pivot your career to the cloud, then we will ensure you get that chance.
- Provide deep technical skills for modern data migrations to the cloud and cloud native implementations
- Be a “go-to” expert for data technologies and solutions
- Perform hands on design and implementation of complex hybrid and cloud solutions in high availability, high scale environments
- Ability to provide on the ground troubleshooting and diagnosis to architecture and design challenges
- Develop Prototypes and Proofs of Concept to support, test and validate design and delivery assumptions
- Be an advocate for Data technologies within GFT and further enhance the data engineering capability in the UK and influence the development of GFT’s global Cloud delivery capability
- Communicate complex solutions in business terms to internal GFT and Client Stakeholders
- Mentor and coach less experienced Engineers to develop and grow GFTs talent pool, share best practice and establish common patterns and standards
- Provide industry thought leadership writing blogs posts and white papers, and being active on social media
Competencies and Skills Needed
- Hands-on development experience with Hadoop and Spark or public cloud equivalent
- Demonstrable experience designing and implementing Big Data Solutions using Hadoop and NoSQL solutions such as MongoDB, Cassandra or Neo-4J
- Demonstrable experience of Agile processes & tooling: Jira, Confluence, Agile/Scaled Agile, SAFE, Kanban, Scrum etc.
- Experience of Continuous Integration tools such as; Git, Maven, Bazel/Blaze, Nexus, Artifactory, Jenkins, Octopus CI, TeamCity
- Demonstrable experience implementing data pipelines in both batch and stream processing
- Understanding of DataOps and ability to create use case agnostic configurable ETL / ELT pipelines
- Understanding and experience with Object-Oriented Programming, DRY / SOLID
- Full stack development experience. Desirable programming languages: Python, Java, Scala, React, Node.js, Golang
- Understanding and experience of TDD/BDD
- Knowledge of Crypto and Cyber security principles; encryption, RBAC, network security
- Excellent data mapping/modelling skills – understanding data requirements
- Data serialisation formats: JSON, YAML, PARQUET, ORC, Protobuf, AVRO
- Significant demonstrable expertise and experience of application architecture using GCP:
- App Engine
- Kubernetes, Helm, Docker, GKE, Istio, OpenShift
- DataFlow/Apache Beam
- Big Query/BigTable
- Data Lab
- Confluent / Kafka
- GCP DevOps tooling or Jenkins, Rancher, TeamCity
- Data lab / Data studio / Kyligence / Kylin / Looker
- IaC technology e.g. Terraform
- Scripting experience. Python, BASH, Python, Golang, Linux/Bash, SQL
- Strong communicator and be able to interface with application teams and add value. Excellent oral and written communications skills to meet high standards of consulting business.
- Ability to assist program and project managers in the design, planning, and governance of solutions
- Self-motivated and self-driven individual who is able to work autonomously as well as a member of a team, including the ability to multitask
- Ability to take ownership of the deliverable
- Motivated to take ownership of own professional development by:
- Writing blogs of experiences and technology
- Gaining Professional Certifications
What we offer you
You will be working with some of the brightest people in business and technology on challenging and rewarding projects in a team of like-minded individuals. GFT prides itself on its international environment that promotes professional and cultural exchange and encourages further individual development.
Founded in 1987 and located in 13 countries to ensure close proximity to its clients, GFT employs over 5,000 people. GFT provides them with career opportunities in all areas of software engineering and innovation. The GFT Technologies SE share is listed in the Prime Standard segment of the Frankfurt Stock Exchange.