- Permanent, Full time
- Schroders Investment Management
- 22 Jan 18
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Base + Bonus + Pension + Extensive Benefits
- Full time
C# Development Manager
Schroders Distribution IT are seeking a technical Development Manager who has experience with C# and leading teams. Working in an agile environment, the successful candidate will play a key part in managing developers and delivering projects.
Schroders Global Technology (GT) function is organised into a number of teams, distributed across Schroders' global offices, with technology hubs in London, Luxembourg, Singapore and New York.
The software engineering and technology change function is split between 4 domains: Investment, Portfolio Operations and Data; Distribution and Product; Corporate and; Digital. In addition there are teams which operate as shared services to provide Technology Infrastructure, Production Services (production support, release and access control), Quality Assurance, Information Security and Business Management (change management, assurance and reporting).
Our application estate is comprised mainly of commercially available off the shelf software packages best suited to Schroders' operational needs, complimented by a number of internally developed proprietary systems to support the specific needs of the clients and products that our colleagues support.
The Global Technology vision is to ensure a stable operating environment that can function at multiple speeds, that focuses on value delivered to our external and internal customers. With a culture of excellence through collaboration, innovation and continuous improvement, Global Technology will enable Schroders to deliver the best outcomes for clients and shareholders.
In order to ensure that the emergent technology needs of our clients, regulators and internal stakeholders are able to be met quickly and effectively Schroders is undertaking the Leading Enterprise Agile Programme (LEAP) within Global Technology. In order to ensure this is achieved without compromising the stability and security of the platform, Schroders Global Technology is implementing a bespoke agile operating model, based on the SAFe methodology, which ensures that technology support and infrastructure is unaffected and the requisite governance and control is in place.
Overview of role
The Capability Lead is a development manager who leads a number of Capability aligned agile teams. These individuals will exhibit the principles and practices of Lean-Agile leadership and play a key role in providing technology leadership and orchestrating Capability (Product) strategy, ownership, team, change, and operations. They have accountability for effective value delivery for the Capabilities they manage.
• Line management of the GT team members within Capability (Product) teams
• Accountable for financial and operational performance of the Capability (Product) teams
• Take a Capability (Product) - centric view on the technology strategy. Ensure alignment with the EA technology vision during prioritisation and throughout delivery. Provide the technical leadership to the team and Capability (Product) centric input into key decisions for innovation and strategy
• Support the Capability Owners to balance and refine the backlog to ensure that delivery of technical and architectural enablers are appropriately prioritised. Coach Capability Owners to improve the technical understanding of the Capability (Product)
• Support Epic Owners in understanding the technical impact of Epics and the amount of work required by the Capability (Product) teams to execute the Epic
• Work closely with Epic Owners and Capability (Product Owners) to ensure appropriate technical sequencing of change and influence Capability Owner to manage technical dependencies with other GT Capability (Product) teams and shared services.
General and Technical skills
• Experience of managing people within large software development teams
• Knowledge and experience of using Agile methodologies (SAFe ideally)
• Knowledge and experience of developing technology solutions, both in house developed bespoke applications and commercially available off the shelf solutions
• Strong communication skills, experience managing relationships with board level stakeholders
• Excellent understanding of the business context of the Capabilities
• Ability communicate how the work (features and stories) delivered by the Capability teams contributes to Epics and, ultimately, the strategy of the firm
• Ability to produce and communicate effective and insightful thought leadership on technical and business topics
• Excellent command of the English language, both written and spoken
• Certified Safe Agilist (SA)
• Capable of remaining positive when under pressure
• Inspiring and collaborative leader, model of agile leadership approach
• Friendly, approachable, enjoys working with people from a variety of backgrounds
• Ability to manage a large team with minimal supervision in a very dynamic and time critical business environment
• Continuous improvement mind-set, challenges the status quo and seeks self improvement
• Earn respect from their team and be willing to get their hands dirty to get the job done
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications regardless of sex, marital status, ethnic origin, sexual orientation, religious belief or age.
Note To Agencies
Schroders does not accept speculative CV's from agencies. We do have a PSL who are invited to support us when required. We only pay fees to agencies instructed to send CV's and are submitted through our recruitment portal. We do not pay fees on speculative or unsolicited CV's sent to Schroders or Schroders employees and reserve the right to contact unsolicited CV's directly.