Business Development Manager, Investment FundsOverview
A sales role distributing funds and discretionary services to institutions, financial advisers and platforms. You'll use your tenacity, investment knowledge, contacts and sales experience to increase funds under management. You will relish the opportunity to make a step-change in the rate of asset growth, leveraging the track record and expertise of our fund managers, and operating as part of a dynamic team in a progressive and innovative business.
At Octopus we're transforming the industries we operate in and improving the lives of millions of people. We've built market-leading positions in a number of specialist sectors, including smaller company financing, renewable energy, healthcare and property finance. We employ 700 people and manage more than £7.8 billion on behalf of more than 50,000 investors. Our products don't just help real people solve real life problems, they also make a positive impact on the world around us.
The Octopus Group incorporates Octopus Energy, Octopus Healthcare, Octopus Investments, Octopus Property, Octopus Ventures and Octopus Labs. Our aim is to have an impact in everything we do, and to make a vital contribution to the UK economy by helping people, companies and institutions generate wealth. And we're always on the look-out for smart, talented people who share our values.
About the role
The Business Development Manager will join the Quoted business, the part of Octopus Investments that focuses on the development, distribution and management of funds and discretionary services that invest in listed securities. The Quoted business consists of the Quoted commercial team, the Smaller Companies investments team and the Multi Manager investment team.
The Quoted commercial team includes sales, marketing and product management professionals. The purpose of the commercial team is to increase the size and value of the Quoted business, whilst ensuring that the business is well-managed and efficient.
You, as a Business Development Manager, will be part of the Quoted commercial team and will report into the Head of Quoted Distribution. You will be responsible for the sale of investment services and funds (OEICs) including the FP Octopus UK Micro Cap Growth fund, the FP Octopus Global Strategies fund, and a new income fund due to launch in September. You will generate sales from new and existing clients through direct sales activity. Most of your sales activity will be targeted towards financial advisers (especially larger firms, advice networks, nationals and service providers) and institutional investors.
You will be the lead on new accounts that you generate, and some existing accounts, but you will be required to work alongside colleagues (within and outside the Quoted commercial team) on some of the larger and more complex relationships.
Do whatever it takes to drive asset growth in the Quoted business, whilst always living our corporate values: be helpful, be straightforward, be bold.
• Use your existing contacts to generate relationships with new accounts for Octopus.
• Apply both traditional and creative techniques to develop new relationships with accounts and come up with innovative solutions to sales challenges.
• Develop existing accounts, ensuring that great service is delivered and driving asset growth.
• Operate as a valuable member of the team; while you will operate alone at times and will be rewarded for your achievements, you will place the success of the team and the business before yourself.
• Use your knowledge and experience of investment funds and how they are distributed to contribute to the commercial strategy within the business.
• Gather and interpret Management Information (MI) to inform your activity and productivity, monitor pipeline and targets, and to recommend appropriate actions.
• Come up with new ideas for communications and marketing content, working with Marketing, and effectively deliver this content as part of the sales process.
• Participate in internal projects, for example new fund launches.
• Keep up to date with wider industry developments especially those that will have an impact on distributors, advice firms and Octopus.
• Deliver regular presentations to prospective and existing investors and distributors. Talk confidently about the Octopus products and their benefits.
• Where opportunities arise, identify leads for other teams and businesses (e.g. the tax BDM team).
Up-to-date knowledge of financial services and its competitor landscape, especially where it relates to the distribution of listed funds. You will have a strong knowledge of platforms, and the advisory market and how it works.
• Experience of large-scale fund distribution with an existing list of contacts and relationships across institutions, platforms, and advisory networks/nationals.
• Investment management industry and/or financial planning qualifications preferred.
• A deep understanding of how investment management works with a good grasp of the detail to enable you to effectively sell funds to industry experts. However, will also have the humility and judgement to know when to ask for support from fund managers in the sales process.
• Proven results regarding the creation of new relationships and growth of existing relationships, with a track record of meeting asset growth targets.
• Flexibility to try new approaches and do whatever it takes to drive inflows. You are not stuck in your ways and will respond quickly to new challenges and opportunities.
• You're a self-starter who likes to always be productive, and has a flexible work ethic, able to work effectively in an office, home and travel environment.
• You have the resilience to work in a fast moving, changing environment and able to cope with ambiguity. If you're a sales person that loves predictable quarterly targets and being given a list of accounts to own, you may be frustrated as the role requires patience and tenacity, and using relationship-based sales to deliver longer term sales results.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Confident and credible presentation skills - be prepared to come up with content and deliver presentations to small and large groups.
• Good interpersonal skills, with honesty and integrity always.
• Able to build rapport and establish credibility with account stakeholders, and able to influence senior stakeholders directly or indirectly.
• An appetite for continuous personal and professional development, broadening qualifications and learning where appropriate.
• Must be curious and seek to instil automated and digital solutions wherever appropriate
• Must be comfortable in using technology and leveraging digital applications and media platforms