Business Consulting / Data Analyst / Data Scientist
Job Description Summary: Job Description:
We believe we're best positioned to make a meaningful impact on the economy. Every day, we provide a diverse range of organisations with the kind of business and financial advice it takes to do this. Our ideas and insight empower our clients to make big decisions about the future and unlock sustainable growth. With a relentless focus on quality and integrity, we help businesses, communities and our people to flourish.
Job Description: Let's talk about the job
We are looking for an experienced data scientist with strong communication skills to work within our 'Margin & Value Innovation' team to support delivery of technical client-facing consulting engagements.
You will be working with combined Grant Thornton and client project teams to lead the analysis across multiple large, complex data sets to solve business problems and deliver value Making quality second nature
This means doing what's right even when no one's looking. The work that you will do has a major impact on our clients and our firm. We pride ourselves on the high-level standards we have for the work that we do. Own your own work
Be a part of a team
- End to end ownership of analytics workstreams on client projects, working within the Margin & Value Innovation team
- Deliver analytics initiatives to address business problems with the ability to identify data required, assess time & effort required and establish a project plan
- Provide evaluative judgment based on analysis of information in complicated and dynamic situations; draw on diverse range of internal and external sources.
- Take personal responsibility and pride towards delivering high quality client deliverables
- Proactively seek involvement in upcoming assignments
- An appetite to work flexibly, as a level of overnight UK & foreign travel is to be expected within this role
- Seek regular feedback from colleagues and demonstrate evidence of efforts towards improvements
- Actively listen to others and ask searching follow up questions that challenges thinking beyond immediate concerns
- Demonstrate collaborative attitude towards colleagues from Business Consulting as well as wider Grant Thornton
- Contribute to positive morale, enthusiasm, and entrepreneurial culture within Business Consulting
- Conduct data analysis, identify insights and implications and make recommendations, develop data displays that clearly communicate complex analysis
- Demonstrate technical analytics knowledge and apply this in the context of client related internal and external projects
- Confidently communicate with clients and successfully manage the expectations of colleagues
- Share your insights with the team & drive your own career development
Build your brand
- Stay abreast of technical developments in your field
- Actively seek opportunities to develop your analytics skills
- Develop and maintain a network of internal contacts to support your development and growth
- Act as a brand ambassador for M&VI, Business Consulting, as well as Grant Thornton
The minimum criteria
- 5+ years working as a data scientist / data analyst in a B2B environment
- Minimum of a bachelor's degree (or equivalent)
- A solid foundational understanding of business functional areas as well as underlying business principles
Skills to set you apart
- Experience with a wide variety of major data science / statistical analytics tools and programming languages (for example Python, SPSS Modeler, SAS, R, Scala, Spark)
- Expertise in MS Excel data manipulation and reconciliation including VBA & Macros
- Must be a self-starter, flexible, innovative and adaptive with strong communication skills
- Experience of visual analytical tools such as Tableau, Power BI, Qlik
Here are a few more skills we are looking for. Don't worry if you don't tick every box. It's important for us to support you in your role and help you to develop along the way.
- Experience working as a consultant delivering data analytics engagements to external clientsExperience using tools for statistical modelling of large data sets
Do you care about the same things we do?
- Knowledge of statistical techniques and concepts and experience in applying them to understand product questions and understand consumer behaviour
- Excellent written, verbal and analytical skills
- Able to balance multiple priorities, work activities concurrently
- Highly motivated, strong attention to detail, team oriented, organized
We have six values we work by. When we meet, we'll want you to show us how they're important to you, too. Collaboration:
We work together, share ideas and always make time to help each other out. Leadership
: Everyone has the chance to lead their own projects. Excellence:
Quality is central to our purpose. We love what we do, and it shows. We sweat the details. We see things through, no matter how tricky. Agility:
The world moves quickly. To keep up, we stay flexible - changing approaches, changing projects, working offline, online, together and alone to get things done. Respect:
A given, of course: we value each other and our clients. We listen, we understand, we care. Responsibility
: The decisions we make and advice we give affects people's lives and livelihoods. We take that seriously and always do well by doing what's right. Share ideas and profits
Unlike most firms, we're also a shared enterprise. So when the firm does well, everyone does well by taking home a share of the profits. Of course, to get those profits, we need to share ideas and share responsibility for our work, too. Bring your whole self
Now you've seen our values, it shouldn't be a surprise that we're creating a respectful, open, diverse place to work. Building an inclusive culture, where we value difference and respect our colleagues, is not just the right thing to do, it helps our people to perform at the best of their ability and realise their potential.
"We are committed to making sure that the opportunities within our firm are equally accessible for everyone - regardless of background or gender." Dave Dunckley, CEO There's more to life than work
Families, children, sports, night classes...the things you do and the people you're with outside work matter. They can inspire, motivate and energise you. Inside the office and out. So, if you'd like to work flexibly, let us know. We're happy to look at flexible working options for all our roles, and we'll always do our best to keep your work and life in balance.
View our video below to see what life is like at Grant Thornton.
Life at Grant Thornton