Companies are the backbone of the stock and bond markets. Bloomberg Intelligence ("BI") conducts in-depth research on large and midsize companies to help stock and bond investors effectively evaluate those companies. We analyse the unique attributes of each business, how it competes against other companies in its industry and how the business strategies and successes translate into financial results. Our analysis also focuses on the industry looking at the changing landscape and how it will affect company performance. Our analysts also research the technology, regulation, litigation and economies that will shape the environment for these companies and the related industry impact.
BI research is a combination of written analysis accompanied by interactive charting and analytics created from company reported data as well as industry and government data. Analysts review, check and curate this data into comprehensive and logically arranged dashboards to support their own research and to provide Bloomberg Terminal users a platform to view and analyse the data as well.
The BI ESG Team
Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) and Sustainable Finance are at the heart of Bloomberg LP’s global strategy. The commitment to leading the ESG conversation with data and analysis has spanned more than a decade, and includes ESG teams across the organisation in Global Data, Global Products and Global Research & Media.
As the investment research arm of Bloomberg, Bloomberg Intelligence currently has a global dedicated team of 5 Analysts – and is continuing to grow. The team leverages Bloomberg’s differentiated platform, proprietary technology, data analytics, and culture of innovation – to deliver unique ESG and thematic insight and solutions to our clients.
BI ESG team is looking to hire an ESG Analyst in London, to expand all aspects of the team’s work.
In this role the analyst will help drive understanding of how ESG and sustainable themes can be used to make better-informed investment decisions through the development of company, industry and thematic proprietary research. Through research publication, data management and marketing, the analyst is expected to effectively communicate relevant insights and investment themes, identifying financial impacts of complex issues. The analyst will be expected to promote BI ESG insights internally and externally.
In this role, the analyst will also have the opportunity to contribute to broader ESG initiatives within Bloomberg and in the markets.
We’ll trust you to: -
Research & Analysis
- Produce outstanding notes and reports concerning ESG issues, themes, and trends affecting companies, industries and financial markets - including the creation of impactful materials with a keen eye for visual representation of complex and striking data and findings
- Translate research and analysis into investment implications in collaboration with market strategists and industry and company analysts
- Perform analysis and modelling of ESG data such as emission, proxy voting as well as financial metrics in order to identify meaningful signals
- Contribute to the wider ESG product and data development projects within Bloomberg
Internal Stakeholder & Client Engagement:
- Build relationships and work closely with the BI ESG team to innovate and develop a strong franchise
- Foster collaboration between with other research analysts, the BI industry teams
- Partner closely with multiple teams across Bloomberg (including Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF), Bloomberg Data and Bloomberg Product teams) in the execution of joint research work, and to design and construct ESG analytical tools and frameworks to suit investor requirements and preferences
- Engage with clients to provide views and perspective in capacity as an ESG specialist
- Travel as required and represent BI ESG team at internal and external events
You’ll need to have:
The successful candidate will possess a passion for critical thinking about both ESG and financial markets, as well as a desire build an individual research franchise and be part of a fast-growing team.
Previous experience in an analytical research role either in Asset Management, working with Asset managers or owners, or a closely related business is essential.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills are key. The analyst is expected to individually publish research reports and regularly collaborate to publish research with Bloomberg Intelligence colleagues. The analyst is expected to expertly communicate ESG investment conclusions with Bloomberg terminal clients via phone calls, in-person meetings and online chat, and will likewise articulate research findings with Bloomberg News and Media and at internal and external events.
The analyst should be a self-starter, driven to publish individually but also in a collaborative and team-oriented manner, with a creative and innovative mind-set, pragmatic problem-solving skills, and effective client and stakeholder management.
ESG Expertise and Market Knowledge:
- Solid experience in ESG research, on the buy-side or sell-side, is essential
- Subject matter expert in various ESG themes with the ability to articulate investment relevant insights and research
- Solid understanding of financial markets, investment theories and asset valuations
- Passion for investing and sustainability
Research and modelling skills:
- Track record of leading analysis and authoring thought leadership related to ESG
- Excellent written and oral communication skills to articulate methods, insights and recommendations from complex and quantitative analysis in a compelling and influential way, both internally and externally.
- Strong analytical and decision-making ability, combined with intellectual curiosity and honesty.
- A Degree in Accounting/Finance and experience working with Accounting/Financial Statements preferred or equivalent experience
- Working Knowledge of Bloomberg Terminal would be a plus
- Fluency in a second language would be a plus
- MBA/CFA would be a plus
If this sounds like you:
Apply if you think we're a good match and we'll let you know the next steps.
In the meantime, check out:
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
Bloomberg is a disability inclusive employer. Please let us know if you require any reasonable adjustments to be made for the recruitment process. If you would prefer to discuss this confidentially, please email email@example.com. Alternatively, you can get support from our disability partner EmployAbility, please contact +44 7852 764 684 or firstname.lastname@example.org.