Bi-lingual English/Spanish Investment Analyst for Emerging Markets Asset Manager
- Minimum £37k
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Polunin Capital Partners Limited
- 09 Jan 18 2018-01-09
This is an entry level position for an equity research analyst. Polunin Capital Partners Limited does not conduct formal economic or political analysis on countries, and we are not necessarily looking for graduates in these disciplines. We require an individual to research companies, primarily in Latin America, Africa and the Middle East. Training will be provided in house. You must be able to articulate clearly in English and Spanish in both verbal and written form. The interview may be conducted in either language.
Overview and Minimum Requirements
- Highly numerate and comfortable working with spread sheets
- Bi-lingual English & Spanish
- Eligible to work indefinitely in the UK/EU without restrictions
The role requires a questioning, analytical mind. This is a research function within a sector that does not surrender information easily. Candidates will be expected to work independently, yet not be afraid to ask questions when they reach an impasse. The team is small, multicultural, and busy. The confidence to interact sensitively with other team members is important. The ability to read quickly and condense information from large documents to small amounts of critical data will be a differentiating factor, as will attention to detail. The research process is disciplined, repetitive, and requires perseverance to overcome the information deficit that we are trying to eliminate. You will be expected to spend a significant amount of time on routine data maintenance tasks as well as primary research. Applicants need to be comfortable working with databases. The ability to travel overseas, occasionally for extended periods, is also a requirement.
We will consider individuals from most academic disciplines. Past experience suggests that candidates from scientific, engineering or industrial backgrounds are more likely to meet our expectations due to the factors described above, and the nature of the investment process employed. This position will report to the Chief Investment Officer. You will be working in a noisy, open-plan office with close interaction between all employees. Candidates must be prepared to speak openly and not be reticent about asking questions or seeking support from colleagues.
The interview process:
- Initial interview (oral only) with one or two investment team members. Maximum 1hr
- Second interview (oral and written test) with one or two investment team members. Minimum 2hrs. It is not possible to prepare for the written test.
- Third and final interview (oral only) Chief Investment Officer and all Portfolio Managers. Maximum 1hr
PLEASE NOTE WE WILL ONLY RESPOND TO CANDIDATES THAT ARE SELECTED FOR INTERVIEW. PLEASE DO NOT TRY TO CONTACT US AGAIN IF YOU DO NOT HEAR BACK.
The following list of activities is representative, but not exhaustive, of the range of work that this role requires:
A. Company Analysis
Please note this is not a financial modelling role. Polunin Capital Partners Limited’s research process requires the collection of information on industrial capacity for approximately 10,000 emerging market companies. We do this by:
- Sourcing and condensing research reports from sell side analysts.
- Sourcing and condensing investor presentations and public filings from target companies.
- Contacting and meeting with companies directly in the target geographies.
- Using the internet and any other research tools at our disposal to obtain the necessary information on target companies.
The candidate’s target geographies contain approximately 2,000 companies.
B. Research Database
Polunin Capital Partners Limited utilises a proprietary research database to store and analyse the information obtained above, as well as historical financial information downloaded from various data providers. You will assist in the updating and maintenance of this database by:
- Presenting the information collected to the research team for quality control.
- After a few months uploading the information to the research database on a daily basis.
- Analysing the effect of any information updates on the valuation of the target company.
- Analysing the effect of any information obtained on the overall sector in which that company operates.
- Selecting (over time) a sector/sectors in which to specialise.
The majority of the training at Polunin Capital Partners Limited can be described as informal “on the job” or “hands on” training. However you will be required to undertake a minimum level of formal training and, should you wish to, you will be supported financially if you decide to undertake additional formal training.
- You will be expected to obtain the Investment Management Certificate (IMC) qualification within a reasonable period of the start of your employment. Depending on your existing level of knowledge this may form part of your probationary period conditions.
- You will be expected to attend formal periodic on-site Anti Money Laundering and Know your Customer training sessions in common with all other employees.
- If you decide to sit further qualification such as the CFA or the ACA the Company will pay for the training and materials, and will give you sufficient time off to study and sit the exams. We will not normally encourage this before the completion of a suitable initial training period of 2 or 3 years.