Associate, Software Engineering
Description About this role
At BlackRock, we are looking for Software Engineers who like to innovate and tackle sophisticated problems. We know that strength comes from diversity, and will embrace your unique skills and perspectives while giving you the opportunity to grow technically and as an individual.
With over USD $8.7 trillion of assets we have a fiduciary responsibility: our technology empowers millions of investors to save for retirement, pay for college, buy a home and improve their financial wellbeing.
Being a developer at BlackRock means you get the best of both worlds: working for one of the most progressive financial companies and also being part of a software engineering team responsible for next generation technology and solutions. What is Aladdin and the Aladdin Product Group (APG)?
You will be working on BlackRock's investment operating system Aladdin. Aladdin is used both by BlackRock and externally by many financial institutions across the globe. Aladdin combines sophisticated risk analytics with comprehensive portfolio management, trading and operations tools on a single platform to improve decision-making and build connective tissue for thousands of investors worldwide.
Our development team's sit inside APG. We collaboratively build the next generation of technology that changes the way information, people, and technology intersect for global investment firms. We build and package tools that manage trillions in assets and supports millions of financial instruments. We perform risk calculations and process millions of transactions for thousands of users every day worldwide! Team overview
The Risk & Investment Oversight (RIO) team within APG, has a great track record of building innovative products for Portfolio and Risk analysis. Distributed across the globe, the team is passionate about building quality software and scalable technology, we also like to have fun and experiment with Agile practices! We are a trusted partner and work closely with Investment and Risk professionals across the firm to delivery high quality products that are a joy to use. Role Description
An ambitious hands-on software developer to work with us on an exciting new strategic product. You will be a part of an outstanding group of engineers both shaping the technology direction and working to design, build and continually improve our analytics platform. Able to understand, organise and optimise existing and new sets of data and shape the API services that serve and power our products. You are:
Qualifications & Experience
- Passionate about software development and follow sound design principals
- Data and quality focused, with an eye for the details
- Familiar with modern software development lifecycle practices and concepts including Agile, continuous integration & delivery
- Always open to learn new technologies to support the current ect requirements
- Not afraid to experiment and discover new ways of doing things
- Comfortable streamlining the learning process and failing fast to focus on lessons learnt through experimentation
- Inspired about building tools and an ecosystem that you and other developers love to use and build upon
- Willing to embrace work outside of your comfort zone, and open to mentorship from others; you make mistakes, but learn from them
- 3+ years hands-on experience in Java (preferably server-side)
- Experienced in API development and consumption practices and appreciate the importance of adhering to well defined interfaces governed by frameworks such as Open API/Swagger or RAML.
- RDBMS, Cassandra or document based database technologies and proficient with SQL
- Experience working with large scale data (preferably risk or financial)
- Effective communication and presentation skills (written and verbal) are required
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in Computer Science or engineering preferred.
To help you stay energized, engaged and inspired, we offer a wide range of benefits including a strong retirement plan, tuition reimbursement, comprehensive healthcare, support for working parents and Flexible Time Off (FTO) so you can relax, recharge and be there for the people you care about. About BlackRock
BlackRock's purpose is to help more and more people experience financial well-being. As a fiduciary to investors and a leading provider of financial technology, we help millions of people build savings that serve them throughout their lives by making investing easier and more affordable.
For additional information on BlackRock, please visit www.blackrock.com/corporate | Twitter: @blackrock | LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/company/blackrock
BlackRock is proud to be an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. We evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status, and other statuses protected by law.
BlackRock will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest or conviction records in a manner consistent with the requirements of the law, including any applicable fair chance law.