Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG) is one of the world’s leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with over 360 years of history, MUFG has a global network with around 3,000 offices in more than 50 markets. The Group has over 180,000 employees, and offers services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
- The Commodity Finance (“CF”) Team primarily provides working capital solutions to commodity traders and commodity corporates based in EMEA (Producers, processors, marketers, distributors, etc) to meet their financing needs in all phases of commodity trading activities;
- CF is relationship manager for Independent Commodity Traders and for some Commodity Corporates;
- CF is product partner for RM offices of most Commodity Corporates.
- The Associate position will sit in the “CF Agri & Metals” desk, which focuses primarily on Metals and Agri traders and corporates, but also manages Energy names
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
- Provide credit analysis and monitor risks/deadlines to support the credit process and transaction execution;
- Support Relationship Managers to enable the effective development, execution and management of customer relationships;
- Support Head of Portfolio Management to enhance the credit process, contribute to strategic initiatives as well as provide support to the overall portfolio management.
- Manage a portfolio of credit accounts, which require supporting Relationship Managers; performing credit-related due diligence; identify, quantify risk drivers and propose mitigants in structured and vanilla transactions; transaction execution; monitor deadlines; and, review and execute facility documentation;
- Prepare credit applications (renewals, new facilities, amendments & waivers) and internal borrower ratings providing approval recommendations;
- Assist Relationship Managers in their review and execution of Facility and Security documentation to ensure that commercial and legal aspects meet MUFG standards;
- Conduct data manipulation and analysis, including running financial scenarios, to enable interpretation of figures, patterns and trends to provide relationship managers with information to support decision making;
- Conduct research from a range of generalised and specialist sources, extracting relevant information and summarising data to inform decision making at more senior levels;
- Contribute to the development, adaptation and application of policy & procedures to ensure a compliant and rigorous approach to the management of any risk which can negatively affect the portfolio;
- Liaise with internal counterparts throughout MUFG and with external counterparts to gather relevant information to support decision making and planning;
- Collaborate with internal counterparts to develop compromise solutions, for challenging credit cases;
- Understand the business, regulatory and risk framework, working with the business to assist its growth while ensuring compliance with internal policies and risk appetite;
- Support the Head of Portfolio Management to enhance the credit process, contribute to strategic initiatives as well as support the overall portfolio management;
- Develop and guide graduates and interns to expand their credit skillset and profile.
- Good corporate credit analysis and research skills (including stress test and modelling) ideally gained in a banking environment
- Experience in a Credit Sanctioning Department;
- A background in Commodities or Natural Resources financing
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Specialist knowledge and extensive experience in credit analysis
- Strong analytical and numeracy skills based on relevant credit systems and models
- Strong presentation and communication skills – both oral and written;
- Computer literacy, including core Microsoft Office suite (Excel, PowerPoint)
- Interpersonal skills and networking skills
- Specialized in energy commodities or metals or agri commodities
Education / Qualifications:
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- Team oriented, flexible, diligent, and self-motivated
- Ability to work effectively with a wide range of cultures / personal styles.
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
The role holder will be assessed in accordance with their employing entity’s performance framework and process with relevant input obtained from the dual hatting entity as relevant.
As duties and responsibilities change, the job description will be reviewed and emended in consultation with the role holder. The role holder will carry out other duties as are within the scope, spirit and purpose of the role as requested by their line manager or Department Head.
- The role holder will have responsibilities for both MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will be required to perform their duties and responsibilities on an entity neutral basis, without favour.
- The role holder is required to follow regulatory requirements applicable to ensure each business is appropriately supported and to maintain the legal entity integrity of each of MUFG Bank and MUS.
- Working terms are dictated by functional mandates, the terms of the Dual-Hat Arrangement Agreement in place between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc and any other relevant agreements entered into between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc.
- The role holder will have responsibility for identifying and resolving where there may be a difference or conflict in needs between MUFG Bank and MUFG Securities EMEA plc, escalating to their manager where required.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.