We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide. Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it.
Overview of the Department:
- The Credit Analysis team is the Bank’s first line of defence sitting alongside CIB bankers to promote an optimal risk / return on the banks’ lending opportunities.
- Credit analysis is a 30+ team organised into 5 sector corporate teams. Each credit analyst is responsible for managing risk exposure across an EMEA wide portfolio. Analysts work with Front Office teams on live transactions & risk monitoring to identify and mitigate risks associated with the structure, documentation, counterparty, industry and macroeconomics.
- The department has diverse backgrounds; ACA’s from the ‘big four, rating agency and other banking environment experience.
- The team is very committed to learning and development with many people currently studying for the CFA that MUFG sponsor.
- The Associate level is a good entry point for a newly qualified ACA.
Main purpose of the role:
- The credit analyst will perform forward looking fundamental credit calls on live transactions, limit renewals and annual reviews. Along with client meetings the analyst completes a credit opinion including cash flow forecast, recommending approval, a neutral stance, or non-approval of the proposed transaction.
- Updating financial analysis for quarterly and year end results. Actively monitoring assigned portfolio of corporates for potential changes in credit risk. Assign or update internal ratings.
- There is flexible with regards to corporate sector coverage and can be discussed through the interview process.
- Participate in credit due diligence following key risk events or for on-boarding of new clients.
- Quickly assess key credit issues, raise salient points to the correct stakeholders and to assess the risk- reward trade off.
- Ability to multi-task and manage ever changing and often conflicting priorities; Ability to work with a high level of motivation and initiative;
- Work diligently to develop technical skills and industry knowledge related to the role. Work towards becoming an expert in a sector and/or geography.
- Ensure accurate and timely compliance with internal rules and reporting procedures.
- Undertake specific country and industrial sector research and other project work as appropriate.
- As directed support the development of junior staff members assigned to the team.
- Experience in fundamental credit analysis gained in either a bank, asset manager or rating agency environment. There should be an emphasis on credit analysis in the context of a transaction or event.
- Alternatively, an ambitious newly qualified ACA looking for a career in banking will be considered.
Skills and experience:
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Experience of covering IG and NIG credit with leverage finance experience seen favourably.
- Corporate credit analyst having covered a number of various sectors.
- Ability to take a forward looking view using cash flow modelling and stressing testing.
- A good understanding of loan/bond documentation and key credit protections. Understanding of market risk and ISDA’s would be preferred although not mandatory.
- Degree level and professional qualifications desirable. Either completed or working towards CFA, ACCA, ACA, ACT or similar qualifications would be highly beneficial. There is scope for MUFG to sponsor such professional qualification.
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- Strong numerical skills
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.