Mitsubishi UFJ Financial Group, Inc. (MUFG) is one of the world’s leading financial groups. Headquartered in Tokyo and with over 360 years of history, MUFG has a global network with around 3,000 offices in more than 50 markets. The Group has over 180,000 employees, and offers services including commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing.
The Client On-Boarding team is part of the Client Management Services, which is situated within the Corporate and Investment Banking Division of MUFG Bank. However, this function acts as a centralized 1st line support team, providing support to Investment Banking and Corporate Banking in EMEA, Capital Markets and MUFG Securities both in London and in Amsterdam.
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
This individual will be responsible primarily for onboarding new client relationships across the Mitsubishi Securities business however there will also be some exposure to onboarding for certain areas within MUFGs Banking arm. This includes; Customer Due Diligence, Screening (Bribery, Corruption, Adverse Media & sanctions), regulatory classification and suitability assessments.
The population of clients under review will generally be domiciled in lower risk jurisdictions (i.e. UK, US, Europe, Asia) with less complex ownership structures and clear operational business lines. This is a more senior position within the client onboarding function and the individual will be expected to support the more junior analysts and drive change by identifying areas of improvement and taking proactive actions to streamline tasks performed across the team. This role would suit an individual who is keen to further their knowledge on KYC and progress their technical knowledge and project management capabilities.
A key aspect to this role is the effective resource and capacity management, stakeholder management, and a drive to improve the service provided to the customer and the business
In this role, you will be responsible for KYC across MUFG’s securities and banking business under a dual-hat arrangement. Under this arrangement, you will act and make decisions on behalf of both the bank and the securities business, subject to the same remit and level of authority and irrespective of the entity which employs you.
- Ensure that “Know you Customer” due diligence tasks are completed within a reasonable time-frame to on-board new-to-bank clients whilst complying with the Bank’s AML policy and all applicable regulatory requirements.
- Assist the business where changes occur to existing customer profiles, by taking appropriate actions (i.e. Event Driven Reviews, escalations).
- Complete relevant Bribery and Corruption checks for prospective transactions for existing clients in order to identify potential reputational, business and sanction risks.
- Act as a Subject Matter Expert in relation to all AML On-Boarding aspects, assisting on ad-hoc queries where required. In addition the individual will be required to represents the team and potentially the division/bank to key stakeholders on these matters
- Maintain accurate records of customer categorisation and suitability assessments on all applicable customers, to ensure that the products/services that we are providing to the customer are suitable, appropriate and in line with the requirements of MiFiD, EMIR, Dodd Frank Act and all other applicable regulations.
- Pursue Lean-On-Boarding; actively seek out opportunities to improve the on-boarding process; including the strengthening controls and improving efficiency.
- Drive to build knowledge within the Anti-Money Laundering sector and to understand the rationale for underlying policy requirements.
- As part of the periodic review/event driven review process; be vigilant to identify and escalate risks/issues to line management.
- Technical knowledge around Financial Institutions would be highly preferred, however not essential
- When there is a business requirement the role will also have to be flexible to provide support of the client on-boarding process and periodic reviews for Corporate clients within GCIB.
- Act as the initial point of escalation for queries to 2nd line and Management from Analysts within the team; reviewing issues, resolving where possible and escalating if required. Escalation should be clear, concise and, where applicable, include a proposed route forward based on individual’s wider AML knowledge.
- Maintain and publish MI to publish onboarding and admin related data to key stakeholders
- Training and Development of more junior members of the team
- Keep abreast of developments in current trends and progress on money laundering, bribery and corruption and its prevention
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Awareness of UK & European Anti-Money Laundering regulations [BENEFICIAL]
- Attention to detail [ESSENTIAL]
- Work Experience:
- Experience in Anti Money Laundering, fraud and bribery or Financial Crime roles [BENEFICIAL]
- Education / Qualifications:
- Degree Level or relevant industry experience [BENEFICIAL]
Education / Qualifications:
- Degree or equivalent preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritize work accordingly
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements.
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.