We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide. Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it. Please visit our website for more information - mufgemea.com.
Change Management is responsible for the delivery of the business strategy through investment-funded Change projects which are delivered across 2 portfolios to the value of ~ £110m per annum; in addition we also deliver projects funded from other sources of funding. The portfolios we deliver are:
- MUFG Securities International (all regions)
- Bank (EMEA) London Branch
The Delivery portfolio is delivered across 8 key department programmes of work (Front Office, Regulatory Compliance, Operations, Finance, Risk, Data , Human Resources, Technology, and Planning) organised under a head of Front Office Change and a head of Back Office Change. The portfolios are overseen by Accountable Executives in all regions impacted by the projects being delivered.
This role is to work in Back Office Change supporting 3 department programmes of work (Regulatory Change, Data and Risk).
Being a small, friendly and supportive team the PMO team has strong support network and we seek talented individuals whose career and skills we can develop through working together such as continuous improvement reviews of PMO process and procedures; rotation between portfolios / large programmes that span multiple entities. Other teams in central PMO provides standard reports that should be utilised and re-used to meet individual programme requirements for reporting; and enhanced to meet individual programme needs as required.
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
The Portfolio / Programme in Line PMO team is responsible for delivery management reporting, planning and supporting their Programme lead / Head of Change in the implementation of the portfolio strategy. The main responsibilities of the In Line Programme PMO are:
- Support up to 3 “small” programmes managed by different Programme Managers in EMEA and US (~$20m per annum)
- Support and guide the Programme Manager, Accountable Executive and Project Managers in planning, controlling, monitoring and organizing the programme, ensuring compliance with governance and reporting.
- Financials management of all projects including direction and delivery of all budget challenges through firedrills
- Own and drive programme and project reporting e.g. through the creation of the monthly programme reporting pack from updates made by project managers in Planview; creation of minutes and MI tailored for the target audience.
- Review and critique deliverables produced across the programme / projects for completeness against policy and delivery lifecycle minimum standards; and provide structured feedback to project managers. Control submission of deliverables for Programme Committee and / or Head Office / MUSHD review to avoid late / overdue requests.
- Implement the Central PMO calendar across the programme / projects being supported, ensuring that the policy and project delivery controls are followed at all times, promptly escalating issues, risks and continuous improvement suggestions to the Project and Programme managers as well as Central PMO.
- Continually improve project and programme governance, controls, methods and tools to ensure best practices and quality deliverables to internal and external stakeholders through providing feedback and working on improvement projects run within the central PMO team.
- Coach and oversee other PMO’s within the programme.
In this role you will be responsible for supporting the programme team to deliver projects smoothly and within the control framework specified by MUS, Bank EMEA, Bank Europe and MENA in the project delivery policy, project delivery lifecycle and other key controls. In this role you will be a key interface between the programme and the Central PMO team.
- Process and procedure expertise - able to champion the MUFG implementation of the toolset and processes, influencing programme and project managers to adhere to MUFG requirements.
- Provide document controls – including project documentation storage, version control and deliverable review to assure adherence to project delivery lifecycle methodology and minimum standards.
- Project / programme / portfolio management of financials and resourcing – ensure there is regular review of actuals and update of forecast; prompt response to firedrills; regular management of invoices and requisitions by project managers. Ensure all views of financials are consistent and there are no surprises, e.g. contingency is understood and regularly challenged / released.
- Produce meeting minutes and track actions to completion and create MI on progress.
- Prepare project status reports for key forums including RAID logs and project dashboards, tracking and analysis of actuals vs forecast across the full project portfolio across multiple sources of funding.
- Co-ordinate project and programme planning with the Programme / Project Managers – including critical path planning, milestone level ‘grading’, detailed financial tracking of actual spend vs forecast for the programme / projects (working with Central PMO), and ‘what if’ impact analysis in response to central Central PMO challenges.
- Ensure projects are tracked appropriately in Planview or other toolset, including resources and all financials as well as regular project updates feed into management reporting.
- Coordinate RAID creation, update and classification, including recommendation of which forum RAID items should be reported to / is relevant for.
- Track benefits from projects and the programme as a whole and hold sponsors and users accountable for reporting the delivery of these benefits on time. Working closely with the Control, Data and Project Accounting team.
- Coordinate project stage-gate management, change control, workshop / meeting facilitation, document preparation and approval as well as allocation of resources and purchase order management.
- Oversee “on-going” key project documentation and ensure timely refresh e.g. of the RACI, Stakeholder and Governance Plan, Delivery Control management, resource and budget tracking.
- Contribute to a combined PMO function across EMEA Bank and Securities that will improve the control, reporting and escalation of issues and risks.
- Support strong communication across programmes and key stakeholders to ensure approach has a global perspective.
- Provide continuous enhancements and lead the delivery of improvements to project management standards, tools and methods in order to support the strategic direction of the Central PMO.
- Manage small development projects either under investment or BAU.
- Provide ad hoc support across the programme for the Programme Manager and key stakeholders as required.
- Experience of working as a lead PMO on a programme / portfolio of work or in a Central PMO office
- Experience of supporting a Programme lead or equivalent delivery lead
- Experience of all the disciplines of PMO
- Experience of working in Financial Services - business and product knowledge a plus.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Excel – intermediate standard; knowledge of how to download and manipulate large data sets e.g. define project management dashboards from multiple reports
- Oracle financials or equivalent toolset – experience in Payables module
- Previous experience of Planview and Power BI or equivalent toolset
- MS Office – intermediate knowledge of Powerpoint, Word, Visio
- Sharepoint – intermediate knowledge
- Waterfall project delivery lifecycle knowledge including:
- Knowledge of project management processes, including RAID log management, financials and resource management
- Experience of defining requirements / implementing the project management framework for others to adhere to (which itself is in line with policy), from initiation through to project closure / archive and championing adherence
- Experience of supporting working groups / steering committees and ensuring minutes are taken
- Management of project books and records throughout the lifetime of a project
- Experience of managing project baselines / project change control (scope, plan, budget)
- Experience of budget management and structuring financials across a programme for streamlined and consistent update by the rest of the team
- Experience in influencing others to adhere to project lifecycle and production of required documentation and owning the cadence thereof
- Experience of supporting both Waterfall, Agile and combinations of “Prince 2 agile” delivery - how to balance the requirements / benefits of structured reporting vs agile delivery
Education / Qualifications:
- Formal project management training (e.g. Prince II Foundation, PMI, APM) required
- A level education or equivalent
- Degree or equivalent work experience
- Excellent interpersonal, relationship and communication skills, able to collaborate and partner with all areas of Change, Technology and the business.
- Demonstrable track record of excellent stakeholder management, managing multiple stakeholders and proven ability to deal professionally with senior management.
- Demonstrable track record of building relationships across diverse skill sets and across the organization.
- Strategic mindset, with the ability to focus on both big picture and practical impact.
- Strong problem solving skills and the ability to collaborate and partner across the firm and build an internal as well as external network.
- Proactive, results driven, with a strong sense of accountability and the ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong understanding of project financial management and demonstrable experience of influencing project managers to manage financials in a standard way with regular review and update.