We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide. Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it.
OVERVIEW OF THE DEPARTMENT/SECTION
EMEA Internal Audit Office (EIAO), as the Bank’s third Line of Defence, and in accordance with the Global Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) International Standards (IIA Standards), provides independent assurance to the Board and Executive Management on the quality and effectiveness of governance, risk management and internal controls to monitor manage and mitigate key risks to achieving the Bank’s objectives.
NUMBER OF DIRECT REPORTS
This position generally does not manage staff.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
MUFG is embarking on a multi-year transformation to globalize the Internal Audit function (in the third line of defence). Financial Crimes Audit is one of the first areas globalised under this transformation. An exciting new opportunity has therefore emerged for an Assistant Vice President (Audit Manager (AM)) to join MUFG and Internal Audit in London, as we build towards a best in class, global Internal Audit function and the Financial Crimes Audit Team. Reporting into the regional financial crime director in London, the AM will support risk assessment, annual planning and audit execution (including project management), in close collaboration with the MBE Internal Audit team in Amsterdam and other colleagues across the globe.
This position is primarily responsible for completing high quality audit work (dedicated to financial crimes risk) within assigned timeframes and budgets. This is generally the execution of assigned audits, including planning, fieldwork, reporting, and issue tracking and follow-up. A lot of this work will have a heavier focus on information technology and/or data analytics and priority will be given to candidates with suitable skills in this area.
Covers staff responsible for independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to improve a firm's operations by evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes. Special reviews may also be conducted as requested by senior management and incumbents may also be involved in strategic business reviews. Will also be responsible for liaising with the Technology, front office, risk and compliance functions. Day-to-day focus is on resolution of complex problems or transactions, where expertise is required to interpret against policies, guidelines or processes. Role at this level usually has full ownership for one or more processes, reports, procedures or products, and may also be considered analytical or procedural experts representing a unit or team on cross-function process or project deliverables.
Execute an efficient and effective program of audit work including aspects such as:
- Lead interviews of process owners to develop understanding of Financial Crimes, IT and business processes
- Identify potential risks and controls, and assist in developing scope and work programs
- Evaluate internal controls design and effectiveness
- Identify control weaknesses and suggest appropriate remediation
- Document results using appropriate business and technical language in workpaper system
- Report findings and client issues to management and engagement lead
- Assist with workpaper review and draft report preparation
- Complete work on a timely basis and with high quality workpapers in line with audit methodology, while also operating within industry best practices, applicable regulations, and internal and external professional practice expectations
- Build relationships with peers and clients within organization Act as a leader and role model and continuously improve self and department.
Travel is required for the position, with an estimated range of 10-20% varying on the location of the stakeholders and audit geographies.
- Experience of working in an audit function within the Financial Services sector or providing consultancy/second line assurance services in the same sphere
- Experience in coordination and integration efforts across multiple groups, preferably within enterprise-wide internal audit functions
- Experience in Internal Audit risk assessment, audit methodology and audit execution
- Experience leading or executing audit engagements supporting Financial Crimes (BSA/AML/OFAC) compliance audits
- Working knowledge of key application controls as it relates to the Financial Crimes systems including testing and tuning of transaction monitoring and sanctions screening systems is desirable
- Experience using data analytics tools to drive continuous risk monitoring and perform audits
- Relevant audit industry qualifications e.g. ACAMS, ICA, CISA, CISSP, CISM are desirable
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- Sound knowledge of auditing methods and industry practices
- Sound knowledge of Financial Crimes Compliance including anti-money laundering, sanctions screening and anti-bribery and corruption processes and supporting systems
- Possesses strong project management skills; exhibits initiative and intuitive thinking; and demonstrates ability to meet strict deadlines
- Exhibits effective communication (both verbal and written), negotiation and presentation skills; strong interpersonal skills; and ability to engage with all levels of internal audit and business line management
- Employs strong critical thinking skills to identify pragmatic recommendations within an evolving and increasingly complex regulatory and risk management environment
- A bachelor’s degree in relevant discipline (e.g., information technology, computer science, legal, business finance) is desirable
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- Strong language skills for the EMEA region are desirable
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements