Assistant Vice President (Financial Crimes Audit)
EMEA Internal Audit Office (EIAO), as the Bank’s third Line of Defence, and in accordance with the Global Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) International Standards (IIA Standards), provides independent assurance to the Board and Executive Management on the quality and effectiveness of governance, risk management and internal controls to monitor manage and mitigate key risks to achieving the Bank’s objectives.
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE ROLE
MUFG is embarking on a multi-year transformation to globalize the Internal Audit function. Financial Crimes Audit is one of the first areas globalised under this transformation. An exciting new opportunity has therefore emerged for an Assistant Vice President (Audit Manager (AM)) to join MUFG and Internal Audit in London or Amsterdam, as we build towards a best in class, global Internal Audit function and the Financial Crimes Audit Team. Reporting into the regional financial crime director in London, the SAM will support risk assessment, annual planning and audit execution, in close collaboration with the MBE Internal Audit team in Amsterdam and other colleagues across the globe.
Reporting to either a Director or Regional Director, this position is primarily responsible for completing quality audit work within assigned timeframes and budgets. This is generally the execution of assigned audits, including planning, fieldwork, reporting, and issue tracking and follow-up.
Covers staff responsible for independent, objective assurance and consulting activity designed to improve a firm's operations by evaluating and improving the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance processes. Special reviews may also be conducted as requested by senior management and incumbents may also be involved in strategic business reviews. Will also be responsible for liaising with the front office, risk and compliance functions. Day-to-day focus is on resolution of complex problems or transactions, where expertise is required to interpret against policies, guidelines or processes. Role at this level usually has full ownership for one or more processes, reports, procedures or products, and may also be considered analytical or procedural experts representing a unit or team on cross-function process or project deliverables.
- Execute an efficient and effective program of audit work including aspects such as:
- Lead interviews of process owners to develop understanding of business processes, client’s business
- Identify potential risks and controls, and assist in developing scope and work programs
- Evaluate internal controls design and effectiveness
- Identify control weaknesses and suggest appropriate remediation
- Document results using appropriate business and technical language in workpaper system
- Report findings and client issues to management and engagement lead
- Assist with workpaper review and report preparation
- Complete work on a timely basis and with high quality workpapers in line with audit methodology, while also operating within industry best practices, applicable regulations, and internal and external professional practice expectations
- Build relationships with peers and clients within organization Act as a leader and role model and continuously improve self and department.
Travel is required for the position, with an estimated range of 10-40% varying on the location of the incumbent and key staff and stakeholder and audit geographies.
- Experience of working in an audit function (second line Compliance or Risk Management, or front line testing teams will be considered) within the Financial Services sector or providing consultancy services in the same sphere.
- Good understanding of wholesale markets either in an investment banking or commercial banking firm.
- Good knowledge of Financial Crime areas (e.g. Anti-Money Laundering including Client Due Diligence, Transaction Monitoring, Suspicious Activity Reporting, Sanctions and Anti-Bribery and Corruption). Training will be provided to enhance this.
- Knowledge in auditing Compliance or Risk Management functions with a major financial firm, including front to back audits (e.g. Front Office).
- Proven track record in delivering quality audit work including planning, fieldwork and issue writing.
- A good understanding of the regulatory environment, in particular the UK FCA and PRA Handbook as well as EU (4th Money Laundering Directive), Japanese (FEFTA) and US requirements (e.g. BSA/AML, OFAC etc).
- Experience of working in a similar audit function for a major corporate/investment bank.
- Knowledge of how to use data analytics to drive continuous risk monitoring and perform audits.
- Experience gained in the relevant first or second line of defense Compliance or Risk Management function.
- Relevant audit industry qualifications e.g. CIA, ACA, ACCA, ICA are desirable but not essential.
- Relevant financial crime industry qualifications e.g. ACAMS/ICA are desirable but not essential.
- Wider audit experience of business audits and or Compliance/Operational risk considered.
- Experience in Financial Crimes through various capacities (e.g., attorneys, law enforcement, auditing, investigations, consulting, risk management).
- Languages such as Japanese, Dutch, German, Italian, Turkish or Russian are desirable but not essential.
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Sound knowledge of auditing methods and industry practices (e.g. ICAEW, CPA or IIA).
- An understanding of banking and financial services is required.
- Knowledge of corporate and investment banking, operational risk, compliance and other risks and understanding of front to back processes for an investment bank (e.g. Front Office, Middle Office, Back Office)Higher education or equivalent industry experience
- Strong acumen regarding auditing methods and industry practises is preferred.
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach.
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritise work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressurised environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills