We are MUFG. 360 years of heritage. A world-class set of businesses. And more than 180,000 employees in 50 markets. It’s no surprise that MUFG has grown to become one of the top five banks in the world. Our services include commercial banking, trust banking, securities, credit cards, consumer finance, asset management, and leasing. MUFG offers stability in an ever-changing market, providing services to high-profile clients worldwide. Our vision? To become the world’s most trusted financial group. You’ll help us achieve it.
Overview of the Department/Section
Overview of CIB Credit for EMEA (“CIB Credit”) :
Virtual credit office, a combination of Credit Office for EMEA and Structured Finance Credit Office for EMEA under single leadership, responsible for corporate banking credit for non-Japanese corporates, non-Japanese FIs, and non-Japanese Sovereigns (collectively Global Corporates), and structured finance.
Overview of Credit Office for EMEA (“ECrO”):
ECrO is a 2nd Line of Defence (“2LoD”) function responsible for corporate banking credit for non-Japanese corporates, non-Japanese FIs, and non- Japanese Sovereigns (collectively Global Corporates).
Its major functions are outlined as follows:
- Assessment and management of credit risks and related risks
- Assessment and management of country risks
- Management of problematic assets
- Monitoring, reporting and early action
- Portfolio analysis and management
Overview of Structured Finance Credit Office (“SFCO”)
SFCO (formally known as Investment Banking Credit Division) is a 2LoD function responsible for analysing, approving, sanctioning and monitoring the credit quality of structured finance transactions, including;
- Project Finance
- Structured Trade Finance
- Aircraft Finance
- Asset-backed Finance (inc. Securitisation)
SFCO is a global department, office being located in Tokyo, New York, Los Angeles, Singapore and London. London office (SFCO (EMEA)) is responsible for the EMEA region and we work closely to ensure global consistency in credit approvals.
Number of Direct Reports
Main Purpose of the Role
- To support Group Heads to direct the continuous development of CIB Credit for EMEA’s credit risk framework, risk appetite portfolio monitoring and early warning frameworks in line with shareholders, client and regulatory expectations.
- To support Group Heads to lead, manage, guide and develop a group of credit professionals responsible for corporate credit (including leveraged finance), and structured finance credit of certain allocated sectors.
- To support Group Heads to exercise delegated credit approval authority and/or make recommendations to senior management on transaction specific files as well as continuously and actively monitoring the portfolio in line with internal policies and applicable regulatory guidelines.
- Conduct credit analysis of certain allocated sectors/products including drafting of credit papers, application of rating methodology, preparation of comparative statistics, graphs and tables under the guidance of senior management.
- Monitor/review existing portfolio transactions and make recommendations in terms of credit and rating decisions.
- Work on ad-hoc projects, as instructed by Group Head or senior management, to setup/adjust the risk criteria/policy and to improve the quality of portfolio.
- Follow the trend, market, and developments in certain allocated sectors/products, EMEA countries, players and financial/legal structures and share those with the team.
- Support the development of more junior colleagues in the team and share technical knowledge of certain allocated sectors/products.
- As required, prepare reports for Tokyo Head Office and European Headquarters as well as creating credit committee materials.
- To comply with all regulatory and compliance procedures.
- Responsible for meeting internal policy requirements.
- Strong experience working in financial institutions carrying out credit work for corporate and/or structured finance area preferably within applicable sector verticals.
- Strong experience in corporate banking and/or structured finance
- Sufficient experience in alternative area if an applicant being single-experienced for either corporate or structured finance.
- Good experience in investment banking in credit or front office
Skills and Experience
Functional / Technical Competencies:
- Sufficient credit assessment and credit risk management skills
- Adequate relevant industry experience with a deep area of credit specialism
- In depth knowledge of credit and risk principles, products, derivatives and management
- Sufficient experience in dealing with regulatory audits associated to credit
- Strong interpersonal skills with ability and experience to communicate to both senior management and junior members of staff.
Education / Qualifications:
- Excellent communication skills
- Results driven, with a strong sense of accountability
- A proactive, motivated approach
- The ability to operate with urgency and prioritize work accordingly
- Strong decision making skills, the ability to demonstrate sound judgement
- A structured and logical approach to work
- Strong problem solving skills
- A creative and innovative approach to work
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- The ability to manage large workloads and tight deadlines
- Excellent attention to detail and accuracy
- A calm approach, with the ability to perform well in a pressured environment
- Strong numerical skills
- Excellent Microsoft Office skills
- The ability to articulate and implement the vision/strategy for CIB Credit for EMEA
MUFG is committed to embracing diversity and building an inclusive culture where all employees are valued, respected and their opinions count. We support the principles of equality, diversity and inclusion in recruitment and employment, and oppose all forms of discrimination on the grounds of age, sex, gender, sexual orientation, disability, pregnancy and maternity, race, gender reassignment, religion or belief and marriage or civil partnership.
We make our recruitment decisions in a non-discriminatory manner in accordance with our commitment to identifying the right skills for the right role and our obligations under the law.
We are open to considering flexible working requests in line with organisational requirements