Assistant General Counsel - M&A
Description Job Purpose:
- Primary Location: United Kingdom,England,London
- Education: Bachelor's Degree
- Job Function: Legal
- Schedule: Full-time
- Shift: Day Job
- Employee Status: Regular
- Travel Time: No
- Job ID: 19023285
Legal counsel to the Investment banking / M&A advisory business and corporate broking team. The successful candidate will provide leadership to more junior team members and the UK business team and will be responsible for delivering legally and commercially sound advice to the investment bank in relation to its work on M&A transactions. Specific experience on UK Public M&A transactions, London Listing Rules and the UK Sponsor Regime as well as the DTRs is desirable. In addition, the role involves working with others to ensure that the Investment Bank's policies, practices, procedures and precedent documents are up to date and compliant with latest developments in case law and legislation. Job Background/context:
The role is in Citi's Investment Banking Legal team which is part of the broader Banking, Capital Markets and Advisory Legal group (BCMA Legal). BCMA Legal provides legal coverage and support across EMEA for Citi's Investment Banking and Mergers & Acquisitions teams); the Equity Capital Markets business; the Debt Capital Markets business (which includes securitisation, real estate and structured finance); and the Issuer Services business. Key Responsibilities:
- The primary role of the successful candidate will be to liaise directly with the EMEA investment bankers to understand the nature and structure of the M&A transactions, with a particular focus on UK transactions, on which Citi is advising and to accurately identify, assess and escalate or deal with in a timely manner the risks, exposures or liabilities that Citi may face in relation to such transactions.
- Investment banking legal (together with the rest of BCMA Legal) plays a prominent role in Citi's control architecture and, working alongside compliance, AML, the Control Group and other functions, is involved in ensuring compliance with Citi policies and procedures to protect, amongst other things, Citi's reputation and franchise. As such commercial awareness, a questioning mind, attention to detail and good judgement are essential skills.
- The role will require extensive contact with legal and compliance officers throughout the region, as well as with external legal counsel and clients of Citi.
Although the role supports the entire EMEA IB Business, the role provides the successful candidate with an excellent opportunity to act as the first point of contact for the UK investment banking team and become a key partner to the UK senior management team who run the UK IB businesses reporting to the EMEA M&A Legal Head. Leadership in UK matters will extend both to the role of the bank on UK transactions and its interaction with relevant regulators in relation to the same. Generally, the role provides exposure to some of the largest, high profile, complex M&A transactions in the UK and broader EMEA market as well as to the UK IB senior management internally and leading legal industry players at other banks and at law firms. Qualifications Knowledge/Experience:
- Strong academics, preferably with in-house experience gained either in a current position or through secondment
- Strong knowledge and/or understanding of the structure and execution of M&A transactions
- Experience of UK public transactions (pursuant to the Takeover Code or requiring the appointment of a sponsor)
- Qualified lawyer, either UK solicitor or barrister or equivalent in other jurisdictions if have practical knowledge of UK practice.
- Significant experience of Investment Banking advisory work and M&A transactions, with a focus on the UK, gained either at a law firm or in-house at a bank.
- Excellent technical skills and analytical ability
- Excellent communication skills (both written and oral) and client and time management skills
- Ability to work to tight deadlines and without supervision where appropriate
- Strong business and legal judgment and commercial attitude
- Co-operative, team orientated style
- Individual leadership skills to take on middle manager role
- Analytical approach to identifying, and practical approach to solving, issues
Exceptional candidates who do not meet these criteria may be considered for the role provided they have the necessary skills and experience. Valuing Diversity:
Demonstrates an appreciation of a diverse workforce. Appreciates differences in style or perspective and uses differences to add value to decisions or actions and organisational success. Citi is an Equal Opportunities Employer