Analyst, Metals and Mining Finance
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Société Générale - UK
- 20 Jan 18 2018-01-20
Analyst, Metals and Mining Finance
People join for the impact they can have on us. They stay for the impact we have on them. A flatter structure offers visibility and exposure beyond that of our competitors, so you know our names, and we know yours. It's personable, human, and inspires success through passion. By encouraging open mindedness and a willingness to share ideas, we have adapted to market changes and thrived through innovation. Bringing words like “hard work” and “dedication” together with “community” and “respect” has enabled us to work collaboratively and build our future together. We call this Team Spirit and it's what makes us different. It's what makes you different.
Description of the Business Line or Department
The position is with the Metal and Minerals Financing (MMF) group which provides structured financing and advisory services to producers, traders and processors in the sector. SG's strategy is to lead transactions and to maintain its position of market leader in the MMF space.
MMF is a global business line present in London, Paris, Hong Kong, Sydney, New York and Toronto. MMF London covers projects and clients in the EMEA and CIS region and works in close cooperation with other MMF locations.
MMF is part of the wider Natural Resources & Infrastructure Financing Group (NAT) which provides financing solutions and advisory services across the entire natural resources value chain worldwide.
MMF is a highly specialised activity that relies on an in-depth sector understanding and detailed technical assessments. It is subject to a combination of risks (sub-investment grade counterparties, emerging markets, construction and performance, commodity price, environment, reputation and syndication risks) that are interacting with each other. Their management requires a unique combination of skills that cannot be provided by a single individual. As a result teamwork is essential for a successful origination and reliable risk management.
Each transaction is usually bespoke in order to address particular risks and business objectives. It also evolves in time along with the circumstances. This requires a particularly high level of (i) details in the due diligence and the monitoring (ii) pro-activity in identifying potential issues and (iii) transparency in raising them to management.
MMF products offering is often developed in collaboration with other business lines such as Market Derivatives, Export Credits or Debt and Equity Capital Markets and requires a good understanding of capital requirements and sources of institutions in the metals and mineral sector.
Size of transactions is often very large and highly visible to the bank's management and the market.
Transactions managed by London MMF team involve assets in the CEEMA and CIS region. Some overseas travel, among others in emerging countries, is usually required to meet with targets or clients and to perform due diligence.
The activity requires a particular care in managing conflicts of interest, receiving of confidential material and sometimes insider information, managing potential reputation risks and avoiding money laundering or financial crime.
Most of the transactions are arranged to finance a project with several stakeholders and often incompressible milestones. This requires very flexible and sometimes long working hours often outside of the regular office hours.
Summary of the key purposes of the role
A. Supporting more senior members of the team in the execution of MMF transactions and MMF advisory mandates
B. Fronting most of internal process related to MMF mandates
C. Preparing pitch and other marketing material under the supervision of more senior members of the team
D. Support for other business lines and Middle Office in monitoring of transactions
A. Support the development and management of client relationships with MMF target borrowers in the EMEA region
B. Support Management in transversal development or monitoring tasks
Summary of responsibilities
1. Financial Modelling
• Create, develop, review and operate models to project financials and valuation of companies and assets
• Be capable of determining sensitivities and running them in order to determine debt capacity and to support credit submissions
2. Deal Execution
• Support the development of financing structures (term sheets, financing options papers, etc.)
• Prepare credit analysis and credit submissions
• Run internal valuation, monitoring and decision tools to support the credit and execution process
3. Sector knowledge
• Provide sector and market analysis to support the development of client relationships
• Follow the commodity and mining markets
• Frequent portfolio review and close monitoring of risks and changes in environment and clients situations
• Identification of new trends and generation of new business ideas
• Demonstrate ability to work well with / and to provide support to other members of the Global MMF platform,
• Regular interaction with risks assessment team, middle office, legal department and compliance department
• Close cooperation with other business lines
• Aim at becoming autonomous and pro-active
• Learn and keeping up to date with internal process, industry and market evolution
• Develop understanding and knowledge of other products of the bank
• Develop network in the bank
• Be aware of all regulatory and Conduct requirements and evolution
• Perform required training on time and maintains good and up to date knowledge of Conduct obligations
1. Ability and willingness to learn internal process and guidelines rapidly
2. Ability and willingness to learn all internal softwares and tools
3. Excellent cash flow modelling skills
4. Proficiency of all Microsoft Office tools
5. Understanding of the loan market, its dynamics and the related instruments, including credit and rates derivatives to propose relevant financing solutions, be able to support the structuring and execution of financing structures to meet client needs
6. Capacity to generate pitch material that is clear, structured, compelling, and comprehensive in addressing clients' needs
7. Responsibility – awareness and understanding of risks (conduct, reputational, financial, operational etc.) and act responsibly in line with SG Group Values, Code of Conduct, and other applicable rules & regulations
8. Good understanding of the commodity markets, the factors affecting them on both the supply and demand side
9. Good understanding of the mining industry dynamics, major and emerging players and outlook for the sector
10. Good written and verbal communication skills
11. Analytical thinking
1. Client orientation – Set quality of service and meeting deadlines as a priority
2. Client orientation – Commercial acumen and persistence in addressing clients' needs
3. Client orientation – Demonstrate initiative and team collaboration to develop business adapted to clients' and markets' needs
4. Responsibility - Learn from mistake and aiming to progress
5. Innovation – Curiosity, willingness to learn and desire to improve process for the benefit of our clients
6. Team spirit – Ability to work with people with diverse, international backgrounds
7. Team spirit – Flexibility and reliability to ensure success of the team
8. Commitment – ability to prioritise tasks and to manage competing deadlines, and to deliver on team's priorities
If you feel you have the required experience and qualifications, then please apply to the SG Resourcing Team, and we will manage your application. At Societe Generale, we believe our people are our strength and are core to the success of our business. As such, we search for, recruit and appoint the best available person on the basis of aptitude and ability, regardless of sex, marital or civil partnership status, race, colour, nationality, ethnic or national origins, pregnancy, disability, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or gender reassignment.