Agile Project Manager
- Location: London, England, United Kingdom
- Salary: Not Specified
- Job Type: Full time
Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager with over
Although not a household name, State Street is one of the world’s largest and most important financial services institutions, providing round-the-clock services to the global investment community. We touch $33 trillion in assets every day, and are the world’s third largest investment manager with over $2.8 trillion in assets under management. To do this we manage as much data as one of the internet giants on nearly as large a technical footprint.
In January 2018, we launched one of the industry’s largest technical transformation projects, in effect building a new bank from the ground up. This project isn’t greenfield in the way most banks claim projects are; we’ve started with a blank sheet of paper both operationally and technically. This role will work directly alongside the engineers and project managers going through this strategic investment program.
This isn’t a traditional banking role. This is a chance to push your organizational skills with people more comfortable in a technology firm than an investment bank, working in a dynamic cross-disciplinary team. We don’t expect you to wear a suit, we don’t expect you to not be able to tell your friends what you’re working on, we don’t expect you to sit in meetings 5 hours a day.
Working directly with the engineers, product owners/managers, and other project managers on the team, you will manage the Kanban boards for the MicroServices Framework workstream. This workstream is responsible for the next-generation application architecture and associated infrastructure for the whole bank, and is based on Kubernetes with a strong focus on CI/CD pipelines and tooling. This is an extremely high visibility project within the firm.
Typical tasks would include (but not be limited to):
- Managing the product backlog from an epic and user story perspective and working with product management on prioritization
- Managing the task backlog from an epic and task perspective and working with engineering and product management on prioritization
- Owning the key Kanban boards for both product features and tasks, and maintaining those in both low-fidelity (post-it notes and photos) and digital (Jira and Excel) forms
- Mapping between engineering tasks, product user stories, and workstream areas of interest (e.g. hardening, performance, new features) as work is performed
- Participating in stand-ups, project planning sessions, and retrospectives
- Ensuring that engineering deliverables are accurately included in upstream reports to the overall transformation program’s project managers as well as project and portfolio management systems
- Coordinating with project managers for other teams on dependencies, milestone projections, and joint deliveries.
While we are a distributed team, this role is based in our London office in Canary Wharf. State Street has a commitment to flexible working arrangements.
Successful candidates will:
- Have experience running Kanban boards for agile technology development (software infrastructure or application development preferred)
- Have good Excel, Powerpoint, and Jira skills
- Have excellent attention to detail and record keeping skills
- Be comfortable working with a geographically distributed team, including handling time zone differentials and working on video conferences
- Have a collaborative, team-first attitude, sharing experience and offering support to the overall team
- Have a University degree or equivalent experience
- Appreciate the value diversity (in all its forms) brings to our team and company
- Experience working in a large organization is a plus, as is working in financial services. However, these are not required for motivated candidates.