AWS Platform SRE lead
Who we're looking for
We are looking for a seasoned and highly technical, hands on, cloud engineering lead to come and join our Enterprise Cloud team and lead the AWS Platform SRE team. We have embarked on a multi-year cloud transformation program and require someone who has lead technical cloud engineering teams, who in-depth experience of engineering and integrating cloud platforms and services, someone who has worked with development and business agile teams on successful, medium-large scale, cloud migrations and who has a deep understanding of cloud best practices, industry trends, modern technologies and new ways of working.
We're a global investment manager. We help institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future. We have around 5,000 people on six continents. And we've been around for over 200 years but keep adapting as society and technology changes. What doesn't change is our commitment to helping our clients, and society, prosper.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre. We offer flexible working appropriate for a client solution focussed role and facilities that include an onsite gym (a good one at that!), doctors, dentist, restaurant, coffee shop and garden balconies.
You will be part of the Enterprise Cloud team that is comprised of two functions, the Cloud Centre of Excellence covering Azure and AWS Platform SRE, Classic Hosting SRE, Cloud Enablement, Cloud Infrastructure Architecture as well as the Cloud Business Office who are responsible for the Cloud Programme oversight, Training & Knowledge Upskilling, FinOps, MI Reporting and Governance. You will lead the AWS Platform SRE team who are subject matter experts for AWS cloud and responsible for building a best in class AWS cloud platform and providing great user experience to the Schroders development and business community who consume AWS cloud services. The team of 7 are in the UK, Europe and Singapore. You will join a highly technical team who are solely focused on building a best in class AWS cloud offering who are integral to a successful cloud adoption and migration programme over the next 3 years.
What you'll do
• Lead a team of technical AWS cloud engineers
• Provide leadership, guidance and mentorship
• Create a high performing team and culture
• Engineer a best in class Cloud platform on AWS
• Engineer and integrate cloud solutions & services to industry best practice with scalability, fault tolerance, highly resilient, highly secure, observability, and simplicity in mind
• Service owner for the Foundry PaaS service from engineering, development to support
• Run proof of concepts for new cloud services or cloud third party tooling
• Work with InfoSec colleagues to review and enhance the AWS security posture
• Devise innovative ideas for solving hard technical problems involving distributed systems, scale and security and translate these ideas into designs and implementation
• Work with peers to refine the cloud strategy, cloud adoption plan & cloud migration plan
• Work closely with development teams to help them through the cloud journey, evaluate and identify new cloud service requirements, and engineer and implement globally
• Identify, triage, and constantly automate and evolve the platform by pushing for change that improves reliability, operability and developer experience
• Every week solve exciting new issues with an amazing team and technology stack
• Employ exceptional problem-solving skills, with the ability to see and solve issues before they affect business productivity
• Engineer solutions that are fully automated using infrastructure-as-code and integrated in the CI/CD toolchain
The knowledge, experience and qualifications you need
• Experience of leading technical teams, creating high performing teams
• Experienced in designing, engineering, and implementing cloud solutions on AWS
• Deep understanding of AWS Landing Zones, IAM, Kubernetes, EKS, Aurora, RDS, EC2, Lambda, SQS, SNS, Security Hub, Security Tower
• Experience of cloud transformation and change programs across technology organizations
• Strong experience across the infrastructure stack with Virtualisation, Kubernetes, Windows, Linux, environments as well as Storage, Database and Networking.
• Experience with modern DevOps tooling (e.g., GIT, Azure DevOps, Terraform, Azure ARM, Jenkins, Ansible, Puppet, Docker, Kubernetes)
• Deep understanding of PaaS, Infra-as-Code, Compliance-as-Code, and when/how to use & enable
• Experience with modern engineering and agile practices as well as shift left CI/CD
• Passionate about building and delivering services via APIs
• Experienced with scripting and/or ideally one language, (e.g., Python, .NET, PowerShell, Nodejs, Ruby, Java)
• Proven ability to collaborate with multi-disciplinary teams of business analysts, developers, data scientists, and subject matter experts
• Deep understanding of broader cloud ecosystem including Cloud Computing Technologies, business drivers and leading-edge cloud emerging technologies and trends.
• Solid interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to self-manage
• Strong stakeholder management experience
The knowledge, experience and qualifications that will help
• University degree in Information Technology, Computer Science or related discipline
• Cloud certifications - AWS Solutions Architect Associate/Professional, Security Speciality
• Understanding of Azure
• Understanding Cloud Service capabilities and relative strengths (AWS, Azure, GCP, Ali)
• Experience of Power BI, Azure Power Platform
What you'll be like
• A passionate leader and technologist
• An engineer who has the hunger and desire to learn new technologies
• An advocate of cloud, cloud adoption and cloud transformation
• Someone who embraces collaboration and change
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Schroders is an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability.