We're looking for an analytical and insightful interns to join the Data Insights Unit (DIU) in Investment on our 2023 Internship Programme. This role is part of our future leadership programme where we are looking to build graduates with the skills and expertise to succeed within our Investment business.
Future graduates who have a passion for continuous learning are invited to apply. If your degree includes data analysis and critical thinking, and the job spec sounds interesting then we'd like to hear from you. A specific specialisation in data science is not required, however passion for the subject and introductory knowledge of both programming and statistics is expected.
Schroders is a global investment manager which helps institutions, intermediaries and individuals around the world invest money to meet their goals, fulfil their ambitions, and prepare for the future.
Our purpose is to provide excellent investment performance to our clients through active management. By serving clients, we serve wider society. Channelling capital into sustainable and durable businesses accelerates positive change in the world. Funding the future is a privilege: we use it wisely and responsibly.
We employ over 5700 talented people worldwide operating in 37 different locations across Europe, the Americas, Asia, Africa and the Middle East, close to the markets in which we invest and close to our clients.
Schroders has developed under stable ownership for over 200 years and long-term thinking governs our approach to investing, building client relationships and growing our business.
We moved into our new HQ in the City of London in 2018. We're close to our clients, in the heart of the UK's financial centre and we have everything we need to work flexibly.
The Data Insights Unit (DIU)'s mission is to bring scientific rigour to investment decisions at Schroders. In essence we do this by:
1. making available new data sources, 2. unlocking the value in data by providing a research service, answering business questions by analysing these datasets, 3. scaling the value in data by building Insight Products: generalising those analyses or anticipating those questions by alerting people to relevant changes before they know to ask.
Through all these we use specialist Data Science tools and techniques: Big Data technologies, Intelligence Augmentation and Artificial Intelligence techniques, and insights from the world of Behavioural Science.
The quantity of information available for investment research purposes is increasing at such a rate that traditional industry practices and skillsets are unable to absorb and process it. Global trends in digitalisation, social media, open data and technology are all creating vast streams of alternative data that are often highly unstructured and obscure. However, they contain valuable and often rare insights. The DIU aims to find these new and potentially unorthodox datasets, extract the rich, hidden information they contain and use their expertise to improve traditional fundamental research.
The DIU consciously adopts a strengths-based style of management and personal development. We strive to understand people's motivations and strengths and position their roles to play to these. This applies to their immediate role and as part of their ongoing career development into future roles.
Our 2023 Summer Internship Programme runs between June and August 2023. This Programme will provide you with a unique introduction into the investment management industry and how the Data Insights team operates within it. You'll be given introductory training and opportunities to network with people across the business.
During the internship you will be asked to help out across a diverse array of the team's activities. You will also complete a personal research project under the supervision of one of our experienced data scientists, and will present this to the wider team at the end of your internship.
Our goals are aligned with those of our clients - the creation of long-term value so we want a talented, creative and diverse team. The more different ideas we have, the more likely we are to succeed.
What you'll be like
• Happy to get involved in variety of tasks and projects • Be passionate about data science and technology • Good communications skills, including the ability to explain technical content to non-technical audiences • You will see data science and technology as tools for solving problems, and you will constantly be improving your skills through further learning • A growth mindset: we understand you may make mistakes, and when you do, we are looking for you to learn from these.
The knowledge, skills and qualifications we're looking for
• Penultimate year of study or final year going on to study a Masters • Exposure to programming, preferably in R, Python and/or SQL • Statistical skills, including at least multivariate linear regression • An honours degree or equivalent - from a wide range of relevant subject areas; i.e those from those more traditionally associated with STEM, like Math and Physics, to those which use quantitative techniques such as Anthropology, Psychology and Political Science. If your degree includes data analysis and critical thinking, and the job spec sounds interesting then we'd like to hear from you.
Desired but not essential skills
• Machine Learning • Big Data • Statistical modelling, such as regression or time series analysis • Information visualisation • Relevant industry knowledge
1. Online application form and CV 2. Online assessments 3. Video interview 4. Assessment centre
We recruit on a rolling basis so recommend you apply early.
Candidates should be available to start the 2023 Summer Internship Programme on Monday 12 June 2023. The programme ends on 18 August 2023.
If you think you may require disability-related adjustments at any stage of the recruitment process, please contact email@example.com our disability partner EmployAbility (employ-ability.org.uk) for a confidential discussion and advice.
We're looking for the best, whoever they are
Diversity is at the heart of our culture. We strive to ensure inclusion at every level, to ensure that our actions match our words, and that our culture of belonging defines how we do business. We are an equal opportunities employer. You're welcome here whatever your socio-economic background, race, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious belief, age or disability. .