2022 Summer Investment Intern - Undergraduate
Wellington Management offers comprehensive investment management capabilities that span nearly all segments of the global capital markets. Our investment solutions, tailored to the unique return and risk objectives of institutional clients in more than 60 countries, draw on a robust body of proprietary research and a collaborative culture that encourages independent thought and healthy debate. As a private partnership, we believe our ownership structure fosters a long-term view that aligns our perspectives with those of our clients.
We are transitioning to a hybrid work environment where both remote work and the office play a critical role. Our vision is a future where all employees are empowered to work flexibly to drive the best outcomes for our clients. Flexible work is a mindset and a core value. Our employees are encouraged to work remotely two days a week as a standard practice and will have flexibility in terms of working hours. POSITION
2022 Summer Internship (London)
Interested candidates should submit the following materials combined into one document :
- Curriculum vitae
- Statement of interest that addresses:
Why you are interested in exploring a career in the asset management industry ( up to 1 page ).
Individually written investment-oriented research ( up to 2 pages maximum inclusive of charts and tables).
- Closing date for applications is Oct 31st 2021
Tracing our roots to 1928, Wellington Management Company, LLP is one of the world's largest independent investment management firms. With over US$1.3 trillion in assets under management, we serve as a trusted adviser to institutional clients and financial intermediaries in over 50 countries. Our innovative investment solutions are built on the strength of proprietary, independent research and span nearly all segments of the global capital markets, including equity, fixed income, multi-asset, and alternative strategies. As a private partnership whose sole business is investment management, our long-term views and interests are aligned with those of our clients. We are committed to attracting a talented and diverse workforce, and to fostering an open, collaborative culture of inclusivity because we believe multiple perspectives lead to more informed investment and business decisions. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we welcome people with diverse life experiences, fresh ideas, and specialized subject-matter expertise.
We are seeking individuals in their penultimate year of study to join our 2022 Summer Internship Program. As an Investment Research intern within our London office, you will assist investors in conducting independent investment research while gaining in-depth exposure to the investment industry and our firm. The internship will last between 10 - 12 weeks. If successful, the internship can lead to a full-time offer to join our Early Career Investor Program, which lasts for up to 5 years.
There are five primary components to the summer internship experience: (1) project for an investment team, (2) exposure to Investment Science (3) access to investors and business leaders across the firm to better understand our firm and its culture, (4) in-depth exposure to the investment industry, and (5) feedback and mentorship. 1. Investment Project
Projects are sourced from multiple areas on the Investment Platform, which includes the Investment Research, Investment Boutiques, Investment Science, and Investment Strategy groups. The origin and nature of the work will be based on the analytical needs of our investors and will mimic the work of our full-time Research Associates (the graduate investment role at Wellington). At the end of the summer, you will be given an opportunity to share and present your work, in a small group forum.
Examples of previous projects include:
2. Exposure to Investment Science
- Understanding the private sales business model and market for online flash sale and coupon retailers such as Hautelook, RueLaLa, Gilt and Groupon
- Developing a framework for evaluating valuations of gold miner equities relative to the gold commodity price
- Creating a currency hedging strategy for a multi-asset portfolio
- Exploring the market size and growth potential of the Chinese lodging industry
- Studying the municipal finance market to determine funding vulnerabilities at the state and local level
- Evaluating investment opportunities in the for-profit education industry in light of changing government regulation
- Conducting ESG Analysis on companies in the Interactive Media & Service sector including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and TikTok
- Developing a Transition Risk Framework that can be applied to understand the impact of these risks on the financials of a company
You will work with your peers on a small project to gain Python skills and enhance your understanding of investment science skills and concepts. At the end of the summer, you and your peers will be given an opportunity to jointly share and present your work, in a small group forum.
Examples of previous projects include:
3. Getting to know our firm
- Analyzing government spending data to gain insights into the revenue for large government vendors
- Assessing CEO compensation to understand if a CEO is paid too much relative to peers.
- Creating a dashboard to display COVID-19 consumer spending data
Through a series of interactive lunches and other forums you will interact with and be exposed to seasoned investors throughout the Wellington organisation. Through this exposure you will both build your network and discover what makes the Wellington experience unique. 4. Immersion into the world of investing
You will have the opportunity to develop and deepen your investment knowledge by attending company management meetings, participating in stock simulations, accessing the firm's proprietary research notes and observing our daily investor Morning Meeting. 5. Mentorship and feedback
You will receive training throughout the summer to develop the skills required for this internship and a potential career in investment management. This will be through a combination of in-house sessions along with continued support through strong mentorship. Summer interns will partner with a Research Associate as well as a more senior investor who will provide support and feedback. We seek to develop interns and early career hires through an apprenticeship model, by offering extensive one-on-one interaction with more senior investors.
- We focus on finding students with a broad range of backgrounds and experiences - with an emphasis on strong academic credentials and demonstrated analytical and writing abilities. Candidates should possess outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills, be resourceful and detail-oriented, and possess a strong work ethic. We are looking for interns who have a passion for gathering information, are inquisitive, and can draw connections between, or recognize patterns among, seemingly disparate topics. An economics or finance major is not a prerequisite, and no previous investment or finance experience is required.
- Candidates should be proficient with Excel and have an interest in exploring a career in finance. Hands-on technical skills and advanced skill in at least one programming language (e.g., Python, R, Spark, Java, C++/C) as well as experience working with probability, statistics, time-series and cross-sectional analysis will be viewed favorably.
- Successful candidates are willing demonstrate the following characteristics: intellectual curiosity, a strong growth and flexible mindset, a focus on continuous improvement, willingness and ability to take risk, strong learning orientation, and offer a broad, differentiated perspective.
Please note that we are only able to respond to successful applicants.
Wellington Management Company, LLP is committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all qualified persons without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, age, religion, nationality, ancestry, handicap, or veteran status. SKILLS JOB TITLE
2022 Summer Investment Intern - Undergraduate LOCATION
As an equal opportunity employer, Wellington Management ensures that all qualified applicants will receive equal consideration for employment without regard to race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, religion, creed, national origin, age, ancestry, disability (physical or mental), medical condition, citizenship, marital status, pregnancy, veteran or military status, genetic information or any other characteristic protected by applicable law . If you are a candidate with a disability, or are assisting a candidate with a disability, and require an accommodation to apply for one of our jobs, please email us at GMCANINQ@wellington.com .