2021 Investment Management Off Cycle Internship - Sustainability & Portfolio Specialist, Fixed Income (London)
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Department Profile
Morgan Stanley Investment Management (MSIM), together with its investment advisory affiliates, has more than 590 investment professionals around the world and about $500 billion in assets under management or supervision. Morgan Stanley Investment Management strives to provide outstanding long-term investment performance, service and a comprehensive suite of investment management solutions to a diverse client base, which includes governments, institutions, corporations and individuals worldwide.
The Global Fixed Income team within MSIM has team members located in New York, London, Tokyo and Singapore managing Fixed Income portfolios for a broad range of clients.
The London-based group of the Fixed Income team works closely with their Global colleagues to manage the risk for European-based portfolios, generates ideas for Global portfolios, and works with the other functions within MSIM to provide high quality, professional support both to internal and external clients. There is an opportunity for an ambitious individual to join the Fixed Income team to support all areas of the business. Primary Responsibilities
The role is designed to provide broad-based support to the team's investors, credit analysts and client-facing staff, in particular the Sustainable Investing team and the Portfolio Specialist team. This involves a range of analytical, client-service, marketing and Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG)-related tasks. The role includes dealing with client reporting, creating materials, assisting with the completion of requests for proposals (RFPs), and answering general client requests. The role will provide cross-support in developing ESG strategies, products and methodologies, as well as in performing ESG research and data analytics, with the aim to enhance the MSIM sustainability branding campaign and sales/marketing strategy across the Fixed Income business. The role will also require identifying opportunities for further engagement with external clients, organizations and industry best practices, and collaboration in relation to the Firm's sustainability profile and internal policy initiatives at the Firm and Divisional level.
The successful candidate will have the scope to add value to a growing team, and the opportunity to grow his/her investment and sustainable finance knowledge significantly by sitting at the heart of an experienced and diverse global investment team. He/She will also have the opportunity to partner with the MSIM Global Sustainability team and with the Firm's Global Sustainable Finance team. Skills required (essential)
- A strong foundation in business, finance and/or related fields, evidenced by a relevant degree, appropriate industry qualification and/or relevant work experience.
- Strong interest and / or experience in sustainability.
- A track record of cross-functional collaboration and consensus building, with superior ability to demonstrate leadership skills and collaborate across teams.
- Fluency in English, with excellent verbal and written communication skills. An ability to communicate effectively in multiple languages would be an advantage.
- An attention to detail, and a focus on producing high-quality output.
- Strong analytical skills and the ability to present the conclusions of your analysis in a clear and well-structured manner.
- A high degree of self-motivation, intellectual curiosity and entrepreneurial spirit.
- An ability to work and think independently, and to operate successfully within a team-based approach.
- Knowledge and confident use of MS Word, PowerPoint and Excel.