2018 Investments Graduate Programme
- Competitive + benefits
- London, England, United Kingdom
- Internships & Graduate Trainee, Full time
- Investec Asset Management
- 10 Nov 17 2017-11-10
This is a non-rotational programme aimed at candidates who are graduating in the summer of 2018 or have graduated in the last 2 years. Candidates will spend 3 months working with one of our investment capabilities or the Risk and Performance team.
Investec Asset Management: Investments Overview
Investec Asset Management began in 1991 with a range of largely South African strategies. We then built up our global strategy offering, believing the world would become less local and more global. This global approach, married with a footprint in both emerging and developed markets, has characterised the development of our expertise.
We now have separate capabilities each with their own investment philosophy and focus on asset class. The 2018 Investment Graduate Programme offers opportunities in each of the capabilities as well as the Risk and Performance team. You will be placed within one of our investment capabilities for the duration of the programme based on your own investment philosophy. Further details of the various capabilities is as follows:
Emerging Market Fixed Income: Emerging Market Debt (EMD) has become an increasingly important asset class over recent years and it has always been a core part of our business.
Multi-asset investing at Investec Asset Management draws on our long-established asset allocation experience, blended with our specialist expertise across multiple individual asset classes.
Quality: Our Quality investment team aims to provide low volatility returns by investing in attractively priced, high quality global businesses.
4Factor Equities: The 4Factor™ Equities investment framework is founded on the belief that equity markets are inefficient for behavioural reasons.
Value: The Value team employs a disciplined investment process, taking a contrarian mindset, making long-term investments in cheap, out-of favour companies with appropriate balance sheets.
We offer a comprehensive range of alternative investment strategies investing in commodities and resource equities, private equity and private debt.
Risk and Performance:
The Risk and Performance team’s focus is to manage investment risk across all asset classes through analysing market risk and behaviour, firm exposures, potential loss measures a liquidity risk.
During the programme you will be given day-to-day responsibilities as well as project specific work within your dedicated team and gain a real insight into our investment strategies and processes. Project work could include company research and analysis, competitor analysis, macro-economic research and modelling.
As a fully integrated team member you will also take part in team meetings and have the opportunity to attend client/company meetings where appropriate.
- A proven interest in financial markets
- Asset Management experience is a plus, but not essential
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (esp. Excel)
- Experience in programming (R or Matlab; VBA, SQL, Java, Python) is a plus, but not essential
- Knowledge in market applications (Factset, Bloomberg API) is a plus, but not essential
- Team player with the ability to execute projects independently if required
- A self-starter who proactively asks questions and seeks information
- Attention to detail
- Ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines
- Effective communication of complex concepts in a concise manner
- Client focused
- Relationship focused
- 'Do the right thing’ attitude
Training will be provided as part of the programme, although this internship will particularly suit candidates who are comfortable with ‘on the job’ learning and proactive self-starters.
In previous years Interns have received the following training:
- R programming
- Investment case studies
- Involvement in macro-economic meetings
We will also give candidates the opportunity to undertake a professional qualification (Claritas, IOC, IMC).
- Applications will be accepted from candidates from any degree subject
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who are graduating in the summer of 2018 or have graduated in the last 2 years
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates with a valid UK visa/permit which is valid for the duration of the programme
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who can commit to the full 3 month programme (working full time)
- Applications will only be accepted from candidates who can start in the summer 2018
Closing date for applications is 17 December 2017