Up to £62,203, work+27.9% pension, work/life balance including flexi hours and hybrid working Software Engineers - Java 8+. Digital with Purpose and software engineering of impact, complexity and scale you won't find anywhere else.
DWP. Digital with Purpose.
DWP need experienced Java engineers to help us compile, build and deploy software services that work for us and for our millions of users.
We're delivering a generational change to the way governments works. We use the latest tech and tooling - and your skills - to make it simpler and easier for people to access our support and services.
We want applications from people who want to use their skills to build stuff that matters, alongside other passionate digital experts. And who are excited by a big challenge, because the scale of our engineering challenge is incredible:
- We have 1bn lines of code in over 12,000 code repos and 90+ programming languages. That's more lines of codes than there are calories in 7.2m Strawberry Delights.
- We run around 294 days' worth of testing every day through automation. You could get a rocket to Mars in that time.
- Our APIs receive 173 million requests, and we spin up 280,000 AWS servers every month.
- Over 22 million people - 1/3 of the UK's adult population - access our services daily. Over 100,000 colleagues and agents use the kit, tools and systems we roll out. We're one of the biggest payers in Europe with over £195bn payments made annually.
We're working at home at the moment because of Covid-19, and our offer includes hybrid home/hub based working. Our pension offer is great too - with 27.9% pension contributions - so you can look after your own future while creating solutions that empower others to do the same.
What skills knowledge and experience do you need to show us in your application?
- Recent experience of Java 8+
- Developing on cloud-based environments like AWS and Azure.
- A good understanding of TDD and BDD.
- SQL and noSQL database applications such as Postgres, MySQL, and MongoDB.
- Containerisation - tools such as Docker and Kubernetes.
- The skills to build up a useful, robust automated test suite to support a continuous deployment environment.
- Knowledge and experience of APIs, RESTful services and Microservice Architectures.
Details. Wages. Perks.
You'll join us in one of our digital hubs either in London, or up north in your choice of Blackpool, Leeds, and Manchester.
We also all have the tech and tools we need to enable our people to work flexibly, and many of us are working remotely at the moment due to COVID-19.
We offer a competitive salary up to £62,203, and a brilliant civil service pension with employer contributions of 27.9%. For a starting salary of £58,000 that would be over £16,000 in your pension pot, from us, each year.
You'll also get a generous leave package starting at 26 days (25 days annual leave plus a day for the Queen's Birthday), plus the ability to ake extra days using flexi leave,
We also have a broad benefits package built around your work-life balance which includes:
- Flexible working, flexi hours and flexi days
- Hybrid working: some time in a hub with the team, some time at home
- Family-friendly policies
- Time off volunteering and charitable giving
- Bring your authentic self to work with 'I Can Be Me in DWP'
- Discounts and savings on shopping, fun days out and more
- Interest-free loans to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it's even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference
- Sports and social activities
- Working in an award-winning environment and culture
- Professional development, coaching, mentoring and career progression opportunities.
CLICK APPLY for further information and to start an application on Civil Service Jobs.