Design System Specialist Team - Senior Software Engineer
- Up to £62,303 plus great benefits and work life balance.
- Leeds, England, United Kingdom Leeds England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 19 Sep 18 2018-09-19
Are you interested in working with a passionate team to create a design system, with the goal of making the UK’s public services usable, consistently designed and efficiently built?
If you want to work on a big, influential, challenging service we’d love to hear from you.
This team will work towards a single design system. This resource will be used across the department and government to help teams design and build user centred services.
At the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP), you’ll use your technical expertise to make people’s interactions with the government as straightforward as possible.
You’ll be part of something big. You’ll be working alongside Content Designers, Front End Developers, User Researchers, Interaction Designers and Agile Delivery Managers to make crucial services dramatically easier to use.
You’ll be rewarded for your contribution with development opportunities and pay that reflects your expertise.
You can find out more about government design systems here at https://design-system.service.gov.uk
As a Senior Software Engineer within the team, you will be a skilled practitioner and a role model in software craftsmanship. Responsible for ensuring best practices are adhered to and guiding the team on how to deliver quality software products.
You will work within, contribute to and own the overall Software Development Lifecycle Process for the team, learning to and applying Government, Architectural, and Engineering principles to ensure the products developed are fit for purpose.
Delivering and integrating software to form a complete service, you will plan and lead development on sets of related stories, having an understanding of the whole system and taking responsibility for teaching this to others. Working with other disciplines to understand what needs to be built.
You’ll have to be able to:
- identify, locate and competently fix faults, collect performance statistics and create reports.
- design, code, test, correct and document moderate to complex programs and scripts from agreed specifications and subsequent iterations.
- use a modern standards approach competently and guide others in so doing.
- analyse the implications of the context of use for systems development, advising on the tools and methods to be used.
- specify and design large and/or complex systems, selecting appropriate design standards, methods and tools.
- review the systems designs of others to ensure selection of appropriate technology, efficient use of resources, and integration of multiple systems and technology.
Where you’ll work
The team will be based at our easy-to-reach digital hub in Leeds. A modern and vibrant workplace, it has been designed for and by our community.
In return for your skills we offer a competitive salary, a brilliant civil service pension and a generous leave package. We have fantastic benefits including flexible working, charitable giving and discounts on shopping and fun days out.
And we’ll give you an interest-free loan to buy a bike or a season ticket, so it’s even easier for you to get to work and start making a difference.
Building our future
We believe the work we do really matters, so we’re serious about investing in your ability.
You’ll have access to a huge suite of training and learning opportunities to complement the new skills and experience you’ll acquire on the job, as well as the chance to share knowledge with colleagues from across the tech community and through our coaching and mentoring programmes.
Please APPLY for details of the FULL job descriptions contained within the downloadable Candidate Packs and to continue your application at the Civil Service Jobsite.
The deadline for us to get your formal application is 17/09/2018