Voluntary Corporate Actions Associate
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 16 Oct 18
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Operations division is both the first line of defence for protecting Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being, and an essential partner contributing to the firm's growth. Facing off to all Morgan Stanley businesses and interacting with all other parts of the Firm, the Operations division supports a complex, multi-faceted portfolio of businesses in full compliance with regulatory guidelines and the directives of the Operating Committee and Board of Directors.
Members of the Operations team have a unique vantage point as the division touches all parts of the business, front to back. One of the largest divisions in the firm, Operations has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, we continually strive to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
Shared Service and Banking Operations delivers industry leading operational solutions by aligning the right functions, people, processes and tools into ten core disciplines offering tailored client service levels that are efficient, controlled and compliant with regulation. Our core disciplines include: Asset Servicing, Cash Management, Client Data Management, Global Banking Services, Loans Servicing, Network Management, Payments (Wireless and Disbursements), Reconciliations, Settlements and Tax Operations.
The Glasgow Position Services is the Asset Servicing area of Morgan Stanley, responsible for managing the timely and accurate processing of all Corporate Events which has an impact on security positions held by our clients. The group consists of the following teams: Voluntary Corporate Actions, Dividends (including Optional Dividends), Bond Corporate Actions, Claims Utility, Global Control, Coupons (Principal & Interest) and Proxy Voting.
Glasgow Position Services currently has approximately 54 staff, and is the largest location in the Global Position Services team. Position Services rolls up to the Shared Services & Banking Operations within Firmwide Operations.
The Voluntary Corporate Actions team is responsible for front to back processing of corporate actions from election deadlines to payment processing and all associated risk management on the event.
The department has been established in Glasgow for several years and has developed itself into a highly efficient and successful operation, providing first class service to our clients. This has been achieved through strong focus on control, commerciality and people. We are looking for dynamic and hard-working candidates to continue the positive progression of the department.
The group interacts with a number of key stakeholders within the firm on a daily basis such as Securities Lending, Financial and Tax Controllers and Operations Risk and Control. We also interact with external clients, via email and phone. Given the cyclical nature of our volumes, extra focus is required during the peak month (April - September) which increase the demand placed on us by our clients, both internal and external.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Front to back processing of Corporate Actions including;
- Reconciliation and payment of complex Corporate Actions across books and records
- Verification of Securities Lending and Broker dealer payments
- Management of any internal and external risk
- Stakeholder management to impacted business areas
- Provide timely and accurate information client service groups
- Work globally with other areas of Position Services and Business Units
- Review all unclaimed dividends and corporate action payments and contact clients to investigate disputed claims
- Escalation to management and other teams
- Ensure Key Performance Indicators and Key Risk Indicator benchmarks are met, and implement remediation strategies where required
- Produce management reporting information to ensure processes are recorded and all key controls are delivered
- Strong Communication skills as the candidate will be expected to develop relationships with the vendor, clients and the Business Unit.
- An understanding of escalation
- Proactive Team Player who actively promotes sharing of knowledge
- Ability to grasp detailed concepts quickly
- Highly committed & self-motivated with professional outlook
- High regard for attention to detail, accuracy & quality
- Ability to question a process and promote own ideas and solution
- A good aptitude for working in a demanding fast paced environment
- An ability to handle high volume workloads
- Flexibility with regards to hours worked
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1