As a Barclays Senior Java Developer, within our FIF team you’ll be working to achieve decommissioning of the legacy platforms. The underlying functions and the supporting technology have to be replaced utilizing the target state architecture vision. This will consist of build out of new components and standalone services performing core securities operations functions such as trade capture, validation, SSI enrichment, P&L calculation, downstream reporting and exception management.
Barclays is one of the world's largest and most respected financial institutions, with 329 years of success, quality and innovation behind us. We offer careers that provide endless opportunity – helping millions of individuals and businesses thrive, and creating financial and digital solutions that the world now takes for granted.
What will you be doing?
- Designing, architecture and development of all applications running on the distributed stack, primarily Java based with some C#
- Managing other developers in Glasgow and potentially offshore as well
- Working in a medium-sized, regionally distributed development team providing technical and business driven solutions
- Being responsible for instilling best practices
- Working with leadership and fellow team members (both offshore and onshore) delivering to meet specifications and timelines
- Designing, developing and improving technical features such as messaging, release engineering, caching, failover and alerting, using Java and related technologies
- Working closely with QA, UAT and application support teams in getting the code tested, released and supported
- Troubleshooting performance and functional problems on development, testing and production environments
What we’re looking for:
- Solid academic background in Computer Science or Engineering with significant experience in a typed, object-oriented programming language (Java)
- Experience contributing to the applications architecture and design (architecture, design patterns, reliability and scaling) of new and current systems
- Experience building real-time distributed messaging applications with low-latency and high-throughput, and understanding of front to back flows between front-end and back-end
- Solid understanding of messaging/middleware technologies (Solace, MQ)
Skills that will help you in the role:
- Experience in building highly reliable, high-performance, scalable, distributed systems, and service oriented architectures
- Experience of best practices for the full software development life cycle (coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations)
- Experience with cloud technologies: OpenShift, AWS
- Knowledge of stream processing frameworks and technologies such as Kafka Streams
Where will you be working?
We’ve been in Scotland for 250 years, and our significance has never been as important as it is today. You can find Aurora nestled in a fantastic central city location, a short walk from both Central and Charing Cross train stations, and not far from Sauchiehall Street and Argyll Street, two of the city’s main shopping hubs. We’re committed to giving everyone the opportunity to thrive at Barclays, investing in our people, communities, and facilities – highlighted by our new state-of-the-art campus opening soon in the city centre.