Position Services Bond Corporate Actions - Associate
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 15 Oct 18
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Operations division is both the first line of defense for protecting Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being, and an essential partner contributing to the firm's growth. Facing off to all Morgan Stanley businesses and interacting with all other parts of the Firm, the Operations division supports a complex, multi-faceted portfolio of businesses in full compliance with regulatory guidelines and the directives of the Operating Committee and Board of Directors.
Members of the Operations team have a unique vantage point as the division touches all parts of the business, front to back. One of the largest divisions in the firm, Operations has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, we continually strive to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
The Glasgow Position Services department is the Asset Servicing area of Morgan Stanley, responsible for managing the timely and accurate processing of all Corporate Events which has an impact on security positions held by our clients and proprietary trading desks. The group consists of the following teams: Voluntary Corporate Actions, Dividends (including Optional Dividends), Bond Corporate Actions, Global Control, Client Money & Risk, Coupons (Principal and Interest), and Proxy Voting.
The department has been established in Glasgow for several years and has developed itself into a highly efficient and successful operation, providing first class client service. This has been achieved through strong focus on control, commerciality and people. We are looking for hard-working candidates to continue the positive progression of the team which currently has approximately 50 staff, and is part of the Shared Services & Banking Organisation (SSBO) division within ISG Operations.
The Position Services Bond Corporate Actions team are responsible for Fixed Income corporate actions for the Europe Middle East and Africa regions. The team manage the full life cycle of a corporate action including event research, market elections and payments. This provides the team with a unique insight into the workings of the markets and the Fixed Income business. On a daily basis the team interact with external agents and counter parties as well as interacting with multiple groups in Morgan Stanley such as Financing Operations, Trading Operations, Wealth Management, International Prime Brokerage and business units in Fixed Income and Banking Resource Management.
Responsibilities of the Bond Corporate Actions Team include, but are not limited to:
- Research of Corporate Actions events and ensuring communication to holders
- Managing Corporate Action, reconciliation and monitoring of trading activity during the event.
- Accurate Processing Trading and Client elections in the market, prior to deadline
- Protecting the firm and its clients against the risks associated with corporate actions. These risks may be financial, regulatory, franchise, market or operational.
- Developing and implementing process improvements to minimise risk to the firm and our clients.
- Completion of Corporate Action payments and management of exceptions, including Client Money.
- Stakeholder management for impacted business areas
- Governance of the vendor team
- Excellent teamwork and communication skills
- Strong analytical, problem solving and inter personal skills
- High regard for attention to detail, accuracy & quality
- Ability to prioritise effectively and achieve results under pressure
- Strong multitasking capabilities and time management skills
- Self-motivated and proactive with the ability to evaluate new scenarios build solutions
- Good IT skills and proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (particularly Excel)
- Ability to question a process and promote own ideas and solution
- Previous experience of Corporate Actions or Fixed Income Booking methodology would be advantageous although not essential. Full training will be provided
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1