Operations Risk and Regulatory Control - Glasgow Business Manager
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 13 Dec 17 2017-12-13
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
The Operations division is both the first line of defence for protecting Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being, and an essential partner contributing to the firm's growth. Facing off to all Morgan Stanley businesses and interacting with all other parts of the Firm, the Operations division supports a complex, multi-faceted portfolio of businesses in full compliance with regulatory guidelines and the directives of the Operating Committee and Board of Directors.
Members of the Operations team have a unique vantage point as the division touches all parts of the business, front to back. One of the largest divisions in the firm, Operations has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, we continually strive to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
Operations Risk & Control performs various independent functions to ensure adequate controls are in place, through providing an integrated risk and control framework to govern, assess, mitigate and manage financial and operational risk in Operations. The team focuses on implementing appropriate internal controls, business processes, and internal management reporting and analysis to mitigate operational risk and fulfil regulatory reporting requirements.
This role is for a Business Manager within the Operations Risk and Regulatory (ORRC) team in Glasgow and would have the following responsibilities:
- Partner with the ORRC management to produce key business planning deliverables including budgets, forecasts and annual business reviews
- Work with Hiring Managers, Finance, and Source teams to support headcount planning, reporting and onboarding activities
- Identify and manage financial risks for department, escalating where appropriate
- Produce monthly business reporting for ORRC Management and other key stakeholders
- Support Operations Divisional Management goals by providing analysis, requirements, and feedback on key initiatives
-Drive Ops cost allocation processes by developing an understanding of the services ORRC provides to its stakeholders, delivering training and guidance, and implementing new framework changes
- Act as the primary contact for stakeholders in Asia and Europe to execute the BM global support model
- Drive small projects to improve process efficiency
- Manage/mentor the team
Skills required (essential):
- Proven analytical and problem solving skills; ability to define and maintain operational process enhancements
- Experience in modelling business processes, and has good documentation skills.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal (i.e. being able to communicate clearly and decisively to colleagues and stakeholders will be a key candidate attribute).
- Ability to work effectively within a team of colleagues across multiple functions and geographical locations.
- Understand the work priorities and deliver outputs on time to a consistently high standard, alongside a proven ability to work within tight delivery timeframes.
- Strong MS Office (Excel, Power Point, and Visio) skills.
- Proven experience operating at a Manager / Director in a financial institution, with knowledge of investment bank operations, and relevant trade life cycles.
- Ability to multi-task and work in a fast pace environment
- Detail oriented and ability to adhere to strict timelines
- Strong functional knowledge of financial planning and analysis
- Strong functional knowledge of business management functions within financial institutions
- Able to work independently and manage through ambiguous tasks
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1