MSFS Fund Accountant
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 21 Feb 18 2018-02-21
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Fund Accountants will work very closely with Client Account Managers of Morgan Stanley Fund Services (MSFS) in ensuring accurate accounts and Net Asset Value calculations of their hedge fund clients and to review technical accounting, operating and performance related issues. Clients will invest in a wide range of securities and derivatives providing the Fund Accountant with exposure to complex investments. The position requires strong communication, and accounting skills and general security operations knowledge.
- Provide Accounting solutions to Hedge Funds for independent valuation, investor transparency and regulatory compliance
- Calculation of daily Net Asset Values (NAV’s)
- Perform accounting functions including P&L analysis, daily cash projections, calculations of FX transfers required for funding, checking client’s contributions & redemptions
- Perform daily, weekly and monthly securities pricing analysis
- Verify performance by reviewing large P&L swings and analyzing income/expense journals for validity
- Adjust activity as necessary for performance processing and reporting
- Perform and review position and value reconciliations. Identify and resolve all breaks
- Review and reconcile general ledger exceptions
- Responsible for ensuring accuracy of non-security related income and expenditure
- Account for non-standard transactions including OTC derivatives
- Ensure corporate actions are accounted for accurately
- Perform month end control processes, producing a month end control pack and sign off
- Perform investor level allocations of income and expenses at month end
- Involvement in preparation of year-end Financial Statements and provision of data to auditors
- Identify and implement process changes to enhance efficiency
- B Qualified ACCA/CIMA/CA accountant or qualified by experience
- Previous Fund Accounting experience preferable
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, both written and verbal
- Ability to communicate effectively across cultures
- Execute sound judgment on escalating risk
- Ability to adapt to developing business models
- High levels of accuracy and numeracy
- Ability to multi-task
- Applicants should have a record of accomplishment of delivering against tight deadlines
- Experience gained from asset manager, fund administrator, public accounting firm, prime brokerage or securities servicing firm preferable;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-EM3