Internal Audit Advisory Senior / Assistant Manager
Change Public Practice are working with a leading Chartered Accountancy Practice firm in Glasgow to assist them in the recruitment of an Internal Audit Senior or Assistant Manager. This role will suit someone who is coming straight from an external audit role in Practice and who is looking to move away from audit into an advisory role where you can learn more about business operations and business management.
The overall scope of this role cannot be captured by its job title. Effectively, this role has nothing to do with "audit" and is a highly varied and exciting consulting, advisory and business management type role. This role will have an element of about 15% of the workload on retrospectively looking at whether a business complies with regulations etc. however, about 85% of this role is very much forward thinking and planning and advising a business on how to structure its finances, products etc. to maximise profitability and overall health of the business. This will involve looking at internal controls, governance, testing processes, risk assessment etc. across a vast array of different business sectors. Whilst this role is a step away from auditing businesses, someone coming from an external audit background would be well suited for this role as the transition can be quite smooth due to the basic fundamental audit training.
Responsibilities will include:
• Conduct internal audits from planning to final reporting
• Execute a wide variety of audit tests / procedures and accurately interpret results, whilst ensuring the work is competently and efficiently performed in accordance with professional standards
• Apply internal control concepts in a wide variety of settings, develop appropriate testing approaches and assess the exposures resulting from ineffective or missing control practices
• Understand the financial, operational and compliance risks which effective activities. Demonstrative the ability to identify and appropriately define those risks, and formulate recommendations which are appropriate, practice and cost-effective
• Prioritise work so resources are devoted to areas of highest risk in line with the audit needs assessment
• Effectively evaluate audit results, weighing the relevancy, accuracy and perspective of conclusions against the accumulated audit evidence
• Communicate in a proactive and professional manner with clients and be proactive in making business decisions, for example, providing solutions for any client challenges
• Demonstrate effective time management skills
• Exhibit creativity and innovation in recommending improvements to audit practices and processes
• Supervise, coach, support and develop junior members of the internal audit team
• Contribute to, and participate in the growth and development of the team i.e. through marketing, networking and other business development activities
• You must hold a full accountancy qualification i.e. ACA / ICAS / ACCA etc. at a minimum and if you hold a CIA qualification that will also be strongly favoured but not essential
• Must have a minimum of 3 years' audit experience, ideally with 1 year experience already gained in internal audit
• Previous experience working in a similar sized Public Practice firm i.e. Big 4 / Top 10 would be an advantage but not essential
• Proficiency in flow charting software would be highly advantageous
• Experience with database analytics software is preferable but training will be provided
To learn more about this role and how an internal audit role in Practice can differ from and external audit role please click apply.