Global General Ledger Controller Governance
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom Glasgow Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 23 Sep 18 2018-09-23
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
Morgan Stanley seeks a professional to join its Global General Ledger Control (GGLC) team on a permanent basis within the Glasgow office.
GGLC was established in 2012 as a key component of the Firm’s control framework, leveraging existing functions in the Glasgow and Mumbai offices. Now consolidated as a global team, GGLC is responsible for the design and implementation of a Firmwide system of controls for the General Ledger, and began by focusing on three key account lines: non-funding intercompany, cash at bank and zero balance accounts, with an emphasis on ownership, reconciliation and substantiation of these sections of the General Ledger (comprising monthly Balance Sheet and P&L certification, and other related tasks). The team now also encompasses ledger maintenance and reference data, and governance.
Across all three streams of GGLC, there is now an increased project slate, encompassing both short term tactical fixes to immediate problems, and involvement in longer term strategic initiatives (both driven by GGLC and GGLC involvement in projects driven by others). This increased remit has given rise to the need for an additional permanent resource in that space.
- Monthly attestation process and technology ownership. This includes, and is not limited to, 3Rs system administration and development, entitlement controls, addressing 3Rs policy queries and training, facilitation of the 3Rs Mailbox
- Monthly attestation monitoring and reporting to senior management. This includes production and presentation of 3Rs reporting with key indicators and extracts regarding risks raised on GL balances, provisions and GL record ownership & sign off
- Assess risks and raise governance concerns. This includes conducting analysis on different data sets available and presenting this information to both internal and external senior management
Working with other members of the team across multi locations to deliver reporting and SME support/ training to global clients and our management base
- Support and where appropriate effectively manage senior stakeholder relationships across the Finance and other areas of the business
- Support and where appropriate drive streamlining and efficiencies across the Governance processes and outputs
- Part qualified, qualified or appropriate experience
- Self-motivated: takes a proactive approach, demonstrates ownership and accountability
- Strong Organisational and time management skills: ability to prioritize effectively, multi-task, adapt, and work well under pressure
- Team work: Ability to work within a global team, to collaborate with peers and stakeholder and to lead creation of effective solutions
- Excellent communication abilities (written and verbal) with all levels, including the ability to challenge to ensure thorough and accurate fact finding/issue investigation
- Critical thinking in order to challenge processes, solve for ad hoc queries and creativity to suggest alternative approaches.
- Strong appreciation of, and an ability to analyse, risk and control concepts and issues
- Ability to work within a dynamic environment
- Strong MS Office skills
- Experience in a control/governance/audit function