See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture. Glasgow Profile:
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant. Department Profile:
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications. Team Profile:
Global Compens ation Controllers and is responsible for the financial control for all activities related to the firm’s compensation and benefits arrangements.
The function was established in Glasgow in 2012 when the UK cash compensation function was deployed from London. EMEA and Americas cash compensation control has since been centralized in Glasgow and the location is now being further developed as a compensation accounting centre of excellence with the addition of teams responsible for accounting for the Firm?s deferred compensation plans, globally.
Due to the nature of the firm’s compensation arrangements, the group is involved in processing and accounting for a range of complex compensation arrangements. The function is managed globally and the new Glasgow deferred compensation teams will work closely with senior management in New York and with other departments in Morgan Stanley including Human Resources, IT and groups across the finance division.
This role represents an exciting opportunity to be part of a global function. Primary Responsibilities:
- This role is within the team which has responsibility for managing the expense accounting and reporting processes associated with the Firm’s deferred equity compensation plans, globally.
- Responsible for the booking and reconciliation of current year accruals for deferred equity compensation
- Responsible for the preparation of data provided to cash compensation controllers to facilitate the booking of employer taxes on deferred compensation
- Responsible for routine and ad hoc disclosure reporting including liquidity bucketing, Key Management Personnel and employee compensation plan disclosures for subsidiary financial statements
- Responsible for the provision of data to regional and local controllers for management charge and reconciliation processes
- Responsible for the timely and accurate accrual for administration fees
- Involvement in on-going system enhancement and testing
- Reconciliation of general ledger balances associated with deferred equity compensation
- Responsible for maintaining a strong control environment and related documentation (including SOX compliance)
- Respond to and interact with key stakeholders including HR Executive Compensation, IT, Business Unit Controllers, Payroll, Internal Audit, External Auditors and the firms 3rd Party record-keeper
- Representing the function in wider office committees Qualifications: Skills Required:
- The successful candidate should be able to demonstrate an awareness of financial control, problem solving ability and possess basic accounting experience
- Be confident in dealing with queries across a variety of stakeholders and business areas.
- Ability to manage work load effectively
- Have the flexibility required to work in a dynamic environment under tight deadlines
- Accountancy and finance degree or equivalent experience
The following personal attributes are important for this role:
- Team worker
- Strong communicator
- Well organized
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Solid analytical skills
Interested in flexible working opportunities? Morgan Stanley empowers employees to have greater freedom of choice through flexible working arrangements. Speak to our recruitment team to find out more. Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-CL3