- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 15 Dec 17 2017-12-15
See job description for details
If you’re looking for a firm that can provide you with a challenging role and long term career development opportunities then read on. We have built a world class reputation for quality and service and the talent and passion of our people has been critical to our success. We provide a strong foundation for building a professional career – a place for people to learn, to achieve and to grow. Together we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and a strong team ethic.
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries. As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success.
The Finance Division globally reports to the Chief Financial Officer and consists of some 3,000 employees worldwide. Finance protects the Morgan Stanley franchise by serving as guardian of the Firm’s books and records, and by contributing to firm wide risk management and risk reduction. This division maintains relationships with Morgan Stanley’s various industry and government regulators, and also serves as the conduit of financial information to the outside investment community. Finance plays a critical role as advisor to Morgan Stanley’s various businesses and its senior management team.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant
The Glasgow Finance team is over 220 strong and spans a wide range of functions including: Product Control; Market Risk Control; Liquidity Control; Treasury Currency Management; Compensation Control; Tax; Legal Entity Control and Governance; Accounting Advisory Services; General Ledger Governance; Regulatory Reporting and Finance Risk. The variety and scope of our opportunities across all levels allows our employees to enjoy fulfilling and challenging long-term careers. In order to maintain this we require finance professionals of all levels, both qualified and non-qualified, who are committed to working in a challenging and ever evolving industry. For non-qualified candidates we actively support a number of professional qualifications.
The Global Disclosure Standards & Control (“GDSC”) team in Glasgow plays a critical role in the Global GDSC team. GDSC Glasgow’s responsibilities include the preparation of certain financial disclosures of the Firm in accordance with multiple accounting frameworks (US GAAP, IFRS and UK GAAP,) as well as preparation of components of Financial Regulatory Reporting which we submit to the Prudential Regulation Authority and the Federal Reserve.
As a result of the ever changing regulatory and financial reporting environment, the team is a key contributor across numerous projects which arise as new requirements are issued. GDSC are also invested in ongoing continual enhancement of our disclosure production processes and investment in the reporting control environment.
The GDSC team works closely with a wide network of stakeholders across the Firm including Global Product Control for the Institutional Securities Group (“ISG”) and Business Resource Management (“BRM”) business units as well as Legal Entity Control, Treasury Control and the Accounting Policy Group. External stakeholders include the Firm’s External Auditors.
JOB DESCRIPTION, SKILLS REQUIRED AND SKILLS DESIRED
We are currently seeking an Associate to join our GDSC Glasgow team. The role will report into a manager within the Glasgow GDSC team and will be responsible for a number of complex disclosures within a variety of financial reporting. Outside of the production cycle, this role will be involved in projects such as implementing new reporting requirements and process improvements
The successful candidate’s key responsibilities will include:
- Building an understanding of relevant regulatory disclosure requirements and Morgan Stanley policy interpretations
- Preparation of the Firm US GAAP, IFRS financial reporting alongside the associated Regulatory disclosures
- Monitoring your progress against disclosure production timetables
- Liaising with Global Product Controllers to gather transaction detail for disclosures prepared by GDSC and documenting commentary for material movements in the period
- Respond to review questions raised on disclosures prepared
- Communicate and escalate to line management where there are ad hoc issues within the production process
- Produce and present disclosures and analytics to members of Finance Senior Management
- Maintain and enhance written procedures documents, ensuring key controls are in place
- Represent the organization with external parties including external auditors
- Hold a CA/ACA/ACCA qualification with experience of financial reporting
- Excellent communication skills
- Appreciation of escalation and risk awareness
- Ability to challenge issues and processes
- Self-motivated and able to demonstrate initiative and problem-solving abilities
- Strong work ethic with an ability to take responsibility for completing tasks and working to deadlines
- Proficient with Microsoft Office - Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
Financial services and/or product knowledge
The following personal attributes are important for this role:
- Solid analytical skills
- Team worker
- Well organised
- Strong communicator
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-EM3