Client Reporting Director - Glasgow
- Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom Glasgow Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- Morgan Stanley
- 25 Apr 18 2018-04-25
See job description for details
Morgan Stanley is a leading global financial services firm providing a wide range of investment banking, securities, investment management and wealth management services. The Firm's employees serve clients worldwide including corporations, governments and individuals from more than 1,200 offices in 43 countries.
As a market leader, the talent and passion of our people is critical to our success. Together, we share a common set of values rooted in integrity, excellence and strong team ethic. Morgan Stanley can provide a superior foundation for building a professional career - a place for people to learn, to achieve and grow. A philosophy that balances personal lifestyles, perspectives and needs is an important part of our culture.
Morgan Stanley’s Glasgow office employs in excess of 1,300 staff across Operations, Technology, Legal and Compliance, Internal Audit, Fund Services and Finance. Due to our growing business, we have a demand for career minded people to join our teams. Our opportunities offer unrivalled scope for progression and training within a fast paced, meritocratic and constantly changing environment. Morgan Stanley pride themselves on maintaining a culture which champions diversity, an inclusive environment for all, recognition and an opportunity to give back to our communities through various local charity partnerships. The office is located centrally and enjoys the additional benefits of an onsite gym and restaurant.
The Operations division is both the first line of defence for protecting Morgan Stanley's financial and reputational well-being, and an essential partner contributing to the firm's growth. Facing off to all Morgan Stanley businesses and interacting with all other parts of the Firm, the Operations division supports a complex, multi-faceted portfolio of businesses in full compliance with regulatory guidelines and the directives of the Operating Committee and Board of Directors.
Members of the Operations team have a unique vantage point as the division touches all parts of the business, front to back. One of the largest divisions in the firm, Operations has diverse responsibilities, including correctly settling and recording millions of transactions per day, identifying and mitigating all operational risks, developing strong client relationships and partnering with technology to realize the full potential of IT and e-solutions. Throughout, we continually strive to improve while actively supporting the development of new businesses, structures and markets.
The Wealth Management (WM) Division of Morgan Stanley was established in 1977 to offer a full range of products and services to private and professional investors. WM has since evolved to become an established asset management business dedicated to providing comprehensive wealth management advice to ultra-high net worth individuals, families, trusts and foundations.
The WM Operations Group in Glasgow provides operational support to Investment Advisors, Sales Assistants and other business groups. Our support covers client reporting, security pricing, data quality checks and performance reporting. The team works with a variety of stakeholders including Business Units, Operations and Technology & Data to achieve our goals. The future challenge for the WM Operations team is to continue to meet and exceed increased business and client demands whilst maintaining our high standards.
We currently have an opportunity for a Director within the Client & Performance Reporting team, which consist of 14 FTE in Glasgow and is responsible for managing the reconciliation of Positions and Balances and Corporate Actions on client accounts, managing all security referential data and ensuring these accurately reflect Morgan Stanley’s records for Client and performance reporting purposes.
The primary responsibilities of the WM Operations role include the management and supervision of the following tasks:
- Control and oversight of the daily exception management in line with the Written Supervisory Procedures, working to tight deadlines
- Maintaining responsibility for risk management within the team through daily supervision of checklists, timely escalation and utilizing key risk management tools including KRIs and KPIs
- Ensure all Written Supervisory and desktop procedures are up to date, carrying out regular reviews to ensure they accurately capture the work performed by the team
- Ownership and delivery of the teams CTB and RTB initiatives, working closely with Stakeholders in other locations
- Produce monthly management reporting information for WM Ops Managements and other key stakeholders
- Maintaining, developing and improving current processes & procedures. Supporting the Sales desks through NPAs, system enhancements and regulatory or compliance queries
- Drive small projects to improve process efficiency
- Manage and mentor the team’s junior staff
This is not exhaustive and tasks and responsibility changes are frequent in order to maintain our high level of service provided to our business partners. The candidate should expect to build an intricate knowledge of the team’s role in WM Client Reporting, the ultra-high net worth WM business and the systems, processes and controls that are utilised by the team.
The ideal candidate may have:-
- The ability to effectively prioritise a high volume of work in a real-time environment, and manage expectations effectively
- Good risk awareness and escalation skills at a senior level, able to elicit effective escalation and communication with peers
- Proven track record of managing people through mentoring, coaching and developing individuals
- Able to review and enhance or develop a suite of controls to maintain and improve the teams processing accuracy
- Strong leadership skills and desire to build consensus within the team
- Excellent communication and presentation skills with the ability to manage conversations at a senior level
- Focus on guardianship, ensuring that issues are identified, escalated, resolved and reported on a timely basis
- Team Player who actively promotes sharing of knowledge to deliver high client service levels
- Meticulous attention to detail as accuracy is essential
- Proficient in Excel (e.g. formulas, pivot tables)
- Ability to support and initiate where possible RTB and CTB projects
- Diversified financial services product knowledge - understanding of equities, fixed income, mutual funds and alternative investments in particular
- Working knowledge or experience of back office operations including reconciliations, product setup and client performance reporting
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
Morgan Stanley is an equal opportunities employer. We work to provide a supportive and inclusive environment where all individuals can maximise their full potential. Our skilled and creative workforce is comprised of individuals drawn from a broad cross section of the global communities in which we operate and who reflect a variety of backgrounds, talents, perspectives and experiences. Our strong commitment to a culture of inclusion is evident through our constant focus on recruiting, developing and advancing individuals based on their skills and talents. *LI-AM1