Join us as a Software Engineer
What you'll do
- You'll be responsible for applying widely agreed software engineering principles and methodologies to design, develop, test and maintain applications and services
- There'll be a need for you to liaise with lead engineers, architects, business analysts and other key stakeholders to understand our objectives and requirements
- This is a role with a focus on development, so even if you don't currently have all the required skills, as long as you're motivated to learn, we'll find the opportunity to up-skill you
As a Software Engineer, you'll join a really strong Agile team with a supportive way of working and an environment where no two days are the same. This is a developer based role where you'll be gathering information by interacting with various stakeholders to allow you to make design based decisions resulting in robust data solutions. You'll be working to support the Athena platform by managing requests regarding various data quality and sourcing issues, and will have the opportunity to support larger scale strategic project changes, which will bring added variation to the role.
On top of this, the team are currently in the middle of a large replatforming project which will eventually see Athena moved to the Amazon Web Services (AWS) platform. This means you'll get to be involved in learning about cloud based technology through investigating and developing any changes needed.
Other key elements will include:
The skills you'll need
- Designing and developing high-volume, high-performance, high-availability applications using proven frameworks and technologies
- Making sure work completed meets the technical standards for all services output
- Delivering well thought out estimates after a thorough consideration of design, build and testing complexity as well as maintainability and serviceability
- Designing and developing software that is amenable for greater automation of build, release testing and deployment process
- Conducting unit and integration tests, within automated test environments to ensure code quality
- Driving the reuse and sharing of platform components and technologies within the software engineering teams
- Delivering concise yet comprehensive technical documentation
We'll look to you to bring a good understanding of the bank's architectural direction and principles, to make sure the applications and services being built adhere to our technology goals, and are completed within the required budgets and timelines.
Although it isn't essential, some knowledge in SAS would be great as the team use the SAS enterprise guide and other SAS admin tools such as Data Integration Studio and Management Console. What is important is that you have business knowledge and that you can work closely with Finance and Credit Risk.
You'll also bring:
How we'll reward you
- A background in software engineering, software design or database design and architecture
- Development experience in one programming language
- Experience of implementing programming best practice, especially around scalability, availability and performance
- The ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.