- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom Edinburgh Scotland GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 25 Sep 18 2018-09-25
See job description for details
Join us in Edinburgh as a Software Engineer
- If you're an experienced developer, looking for a new challenge in a forward-looking environment, this is an excellent opportunity to join our Data team in Digital & Engineering Services (DES)
- You'll be using your technical expertise to take a leading role in ETL development work in our Enterprise Data Hub
- In DES, we have the task of pulling all of the bank's data into a single version of the truth, and the work you do will have a genuine impact on the wider goal of building a better bank
- This vacancy opens for applications on Tuesday, 28th August 2018, and closes on Tuesday, 25th September 2018
What you'll do
We'll look to you to provide design and architectural expertise to the ETL development and testing team, and play a leading role in ETL development work for our Enterprise Data Hub. You'll provide an expert view to managers and colleagues regarding ETL design matters, working closely with data project managers to ensure that accurate estimates and plans are provided for development and testing work.
In the course of your work you'll also:
- Collaborate with a range of development, testing and business teams, to formulate the best possible design and solution options
- Make use of agile and rapid delivery mechanisms throughout the development process
- Design and deliver reusable components, ensuring quality, robustness, and flexibility
- Construct and improve existing build and unit test automation practices
- Ensure that the software components adhere to our business's delivery standards and are aligned with the vision set by the Solution Design team
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone who can combine the necessary technical skills required for the role with strong and adaptable communication and leadership skills. You'll have strong development experience as well as experience of leading deliveries for small to medium data warehousing projects.
You'll also require experience in data transformation and lean engineering principles, as well as writing complex SQL queries and tuning low performing PowerCenter workflows.
You'll have a good understanding of financial services including European Deposit Guarantee Scheme, FATCA, AML, mortgage and wealth systems. You'll also need to be an effective team leader, able to foster collaboration, and build trust among colleagues and stakeholders.
As well as this, you'll demonstrate:
- Experience working with project managers and providing accurate estimates for development work
- The ability to communicate clearly and persuasively on technical matters, and to translate business challenges into effective programme solutions
- Experience working within an Agile development practice, and with Big Data (Hadoop)
- Experience performing application scheduling, monitoring using CA7 batch scheduler
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.