- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Prudential plc
Senior Technical Lead
- Full time
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- 18 Mar 19
Senior Technical LeadSenior Technical Lead
We're making a series of significant changes across the Wealth Solutions business of Prudential UK as part of our contribution to make M&G Prudential the best loved and most successful savings and investments business. These changes are part of our strategy to modernise Prudential UK so that we can regain our reputation for innovation, reduce costs and become a truly digital business.
A senior technical lead works with teams on problems that require broad architectural thinking. They are responsible for leading the technical design of systems and services, and can justify and communicate their design decisions.
They assure other services and system quality, making sure the technical work fits into the broader strategy for Wealth Solutions and M&G Prudential. They explore the benefits of wider alignment across M&G Prudential. They provide mentoring within teams and provide leadership to the engineering community.
Senior Technical Leads;
- Are proactive in identifying engineering / platform improvement opportunities and translating these into non-technical descriptions that can be widely understood
- Manage expectations by communicating with both technical and non-technical stakeholders
- Undertake structured analysis of technical issues, and translate this analysis into technical designs that describe a solution
- Contribute to technical design and are capable of providing design patterns to support delivery teams
- Mentor and coach junior colleagues
- Capable of evolving and defining governance and taking responsibility for collaborating and supporting in wider governance.
- Capable of applying strategy, using patterns, standards, policies, roadmaps and vision statements
- Able to identify and compare the best processes or delivery methods to use, Tech Leads are able to help teams manage and visualise outcomes.
- Able to listen to the needs of both technical and business stakeholders and interpret between them.
- Able to make effective technical decisions with due consideration of risk and resilience. Technical Leads are capable of resolving technical disputes between wider peers and indirect stakeholders, taking into account all views and opinions.
- Designs systems characterised by medium/high levels of risk.
- Able to understand trends and practices outside their team and how these will impact their work.
- Able to understand how their work fits into the broader strategy and Wealth Solutions transformation context. Capable of considering the patterns and interactions on a larger scale.
- Able to communicate the path from concept to market to new teams, and the key business and experience drivers for the change.
- Translates logical designs into physical designs. Produces detailed designs and documents all work using required standards, methods and tools, including prototyping tools where appropriate. Designs systems characterised by managed levels of risk, manageable business and technical complexity and meaningful impact. Works with well-understood technology and identifies appropriate patterns.
- Experience working in fast paced agile environments
- Experience working in cross functional teams
- Experience contributing to, and achieving, continuous improvement goals. Individually and as part of a team.
- Communicates effectively and clearly, even when under pressure.
- Engage confidently with stakeholders and communicate technical information in a clear way.
- Facilitate meetings and workshops with people from all levels of seniority, without bias.
People who work at Prudential agree that ours is a great place to work with a brilliant team spirit. It's also an innovative, high-performing commercial environment that's totally focused on customers. As a Prudential colleague you'll get all the support you'd expect, including full training and professional development. You'll receive a competitive salary and reward package, including a company car or car allowance and a performance related bonus. And in a fast-changing world, you'll join an organisation that's leading the way in helping customers achieve their long-term financial goals.
At Prudential we work hard to create an environment that enables everyone to flourish and we actively encourage diversity across the business.
We also understand that your working pattern may need to be tailored to suit you - please let us know if you'd like to discuss a flexible working arrangement.