- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 26 May 19
Join us in Edinburgh as a Platform Engineer
- Use your breadth of technical expertise and experience to build commercial products for our Digital & Engineering Services function
- You'll be working on a new bank wide programme and owning the delivery of software from conception to implementation
- Hone your existing skills and advance your career in this exciting, fast paced role
What you'll do
As a Platform Engineer you'll be helping to deliver the Digital & Engineering Services platforms. You'll need to be able to work closely with developers, engineers and the scrum master to ensure key deliverables are met. Your remit will include removing processes and documentation through automated tooling, testing, workflows and delivery mechanisms.
You'll be creating tooling to increase the development community's pace and ensure quality and automation throughout the software development cycle. You'll make sure the technology we adopt is transparent and allows us to get the highest return on investment and value.
- Work with peers to drive a change in mind-set and skills adoption across the wider bank
- Operate as a key member of a high performing agile development team
- Drive automation and orchestration best practices for Digital & Engineering Services, focusing on tooling and integration with an emphasis on a continuous delivery model
- Work with Digital & Engineering Services teams on adopting continuous integration and deployment using orchestration tools, integrating into the team's continuous delivery pipeline, and standardising how our teams perform change across the bank
- Contribute to community engagements across the bank to promote self service and automation standards, and help train teams to understand why to adopt and how to use the automated tools to perform change
- Promote the cultural change needed to realise the benefit of automated releases over manual changes; contribute to new tools and ways to perform orchestration either with existing tools or by promoting new tools in the market
- Coach people on understanding automation and orchestration capabilities with the products available within Digital & Engineering Services Developer Tools
The skills you'll need
This role is suitable for someone with extensive application development experience, including experience in an agile development team. You'll have experience of developing products which have been sold to customers, and of working with business teams. You'll also have a good understanding of distributed multi-tier architectures, combined with excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
In terms of technical skills and knowledge, we'll be looking for:
- Strong technical knowledge of environments management and configuration orchestration technologies, such as GIT, Bitbucket, Team City, Artifactory, Nexus, Concourse, or other tools for continuous integration and delivery
- The ability to use AWS, Azure, IBM, Google & Oracle & SaaS servers in support of our cloud first strategy:
- UNIX, RHEL and Ubuntu, with strong scripting experience
- Microsoft Windows server platforms 2012 and 2016 with IIS 8.5 and .Net
- Ansible Tower; Puppet Enterprise, Octopus; Urbancode
- Testing tools and frameworks such as Selenium; Microfocus Silk Suite, Cucumber, Zephyr
- Monitoring and analytics tools such as ITRS, Nagios, Datadog, AppDynamics, New Relic, Splunk, Sumlogic
- Containers such as Docker, Kubernetes, PKS, OpenShift, Istio
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .