See job description for details
The Business Join us in Edinburgh as a Network Engineer
What you'll do
- For someone with knowledge of Software Defined Networking, this is an opportunity to join our Software Defined Network (SDN) function within Network Services
- This is an exciting opportunity to set up, support and develop a new in-house SDN team, working on new SDN technologies such as Cisco ACI and VMware NSX
- You'll be providing technical resource and support to all Run & Change functions across our newly deployed Software Defined Network (SDN) infrastructure
- Ultimately, you'll become a key contributor in this cutting-edge area of our business and will help set the future strategy to ensure its success
We have an immediate need to build our internal Software Defined Network (SDN) capability within the bank, and this role is an opportunity to be part of a brand new team of technical specialists providing a DevOps function across the new infrastructure. This new team will support the end to end lifecycle and support of new and cutting edge SDN technologies, namely Cisco ACI and VMware NSX.
While you won't have any direct line management responsibilities, you will be providing technical leadership and governance of the SDN DevOps workforce and activities, to ensure the bank's business objectives are met.
Your key responsibilities will include:
The skills you'll need
- Providing technical capability across the SDN DevOps team and our Customers
- Providing operational support for the new SDN infrastructure
- Driving team cross-skilling to operate as a single DevOps function across both technologies
- Performing all lifecycle management functions across SDN and maintaining the new technologies
- Designing, planning and executing all incremental business-as-usual project change
- Providing defined engineering services for the new SDN infrastructure
- Collaborating with Network and Virtualisation colleagues to develop technical roadmaps
We're looking for someone with knowledge of Software Defined Networking, including products and design. You'll have substantial experience of Networking, both in a design and operational environment, paired with proven technology design experience in the Financial Services sector.
We'll also be looking to you to demonstrate:
How we'll reward you
- Knowledge of industry best practice, trends and emerging technologies within the SDN space
- Operational experience of running VMware NSX environments or Cisco ACI fabrics
- Knowledge and experience relating to product lifecycle, governance and maturity frameworks
- An understanding of service management disciplines
- Knowledge of project lifecycles
- Experience providing people, technical and vendor leadership
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer. Inclusion
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.