See job description for details
The Requirements Join us in Edinburgh as a Lead Platform Engineer
What you'll do
- Use your breadth of technical expertise and experience to build commercial products for our Digital & Engineering Services function
- You'll be working on a new bank wide programme and owning the delivery of software from conception to implementation
- Hone your existing skills and advance your career in this exciting, fast paced role
As a Lead Engineer you'll play a key part in delivering the Digital & Engineering Services platforms. You'll take a leading role in the technical design, development and testing of complex applications and services, working with a team of software engineers to create truly innovative solutions that deliver on our ambition.
You'll lead in exploring the pros and cons of solution design options to stakeholders to reach the best possible decision. From initial planning to delivery, you'll work closely with a wide range of business and technical stakeholders to build solutions that define needs our customers never knew they had.
Your responsibilities will include:
The skills you'll need
- Producing modular code which tests well, and is carefully designed with future scalability in mind
- Using your experience to help guide the strategic direction for developing components and services
- Making sure we build software that's consistent with the frameworks in use across the wider engineering community when applied at their best
- Using your up-to-date understanding of industry best practice to promote learning and knowledge sharing across the team, and to tackle complex problems where there might be no proven route to success
- Developing and mentoring less experienced engineers by providing constructive, understandable feedback, and facilitating opportunities for practical learning
- Coaching people on understanding automation and orchestration capabilities with the products available within Digital & Engineering Services Developer Tools
We're looking for a fantastic collaborator with significant experience in application development, who has a history of working on large technology change programmes. You'll be experienced in working with cloud technologies, and will have a particular focus on service oriented architecture and event driven programming, plus knowledge of security technologies. You'll be well versed in agile development, continuous integration and test automation, and will be a great development team member who fosters and strengthens a spirit of transparency and teamwork.
You'll also bring:
How we'll reward you
- Experience of the whole software development lifecycle - taking in inception, build and production - and an informed appreciation of how software and system design decisions affect practical considerations such as manageability, supportability, and troubleshooting
- A positive and pragmatic approach to getting new projects off the ground, and the proven ability to encourage cooperation among a multi-disciplinary team
- The willingness to express your opinion, and an understanding of when to prioritise progress
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer. Inclusion
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .