- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- Prudential plc
- Full time
- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- 18 Mar 19
Engineering LeadEngineering Lead
We're making a series of significant changes across the Wealth Solutions business of Prudential UK as part of our contribution to make M&G Prudential the best loved and most successful savings and investments business. These changes are part of our strategy to modernise Prudential UK so that we can regain our reputation for innovation, Produce costs and become a truly digital business.
An Engineer Lead, leads and plans development across large initiatives or multiple teams. They are still hands on, and help teams deliver components that form part of a prototype, application, product or service. They have a specialism in one or more of - UX Engineering, Front-end Engineering, API / Integration engineering and back-end system code. Regardless of their chosen speciality, they are responsible for writing clean, secure code following a test driven approach. They create code that is open by default and easy for others to reuse.
They lead the Engineering community through sharing of best practice and mentoring others.
- Are expert in many technical areas, or specialists with very deep knowledge in a particular technical area
- Use this knowledge, and work with related disciplines, to keep multiple teams working effectively
- Develop capability by facilitating internal mobility, shape career paths, recruit talent making sure all engineering teams are collaborating effectively
- Identify, test and champion the adoption of emerging technologies
Strong understanding and application of the most appropriate modern standards and practices. Takes responsibility for coaching and guiding others. Advises on the right way to apply standards and methods, ensuring compliance, and maintains technical responsibility for all the stages and iterations of the proposition, through the delivery method.
- Provides technical advice to stakeholders and sets the community, and team-based standards for programming tools and techniques
- Designs systems characterised by high levels of risk, impact and business or technical complexity. Controls system design practice within an enterprise or industry architecture .
Complementary - working knowledge
- Has a knowledge in information security, able to design, quality review and quality assure solutions and services with security controls embedded, specifically engineered as mitigation against security threats.
- Understands continuous integration and continuous delivery, and continuously looks to help the team identify ways to implement this.
- Able to help fix environment faults when following agreed procedures, and capable of carrying out basic infrastructure maintenance tasks.
- Understands the concept of 'progressive enhancement' when developing front end solutions.
- Able to collaborate with user researchers and can sell and represent users internally. Understands the difference between user needs and desires of the user when working in a Feature Team.
- Able to create code so that it is modular and easily re-usable, to enable Wealth Solutions to build more robust services.
- Experience working in fast paced agile environments
- Experience working in cross functional teams
- Experience contributing to, and achieving, continuous improvement goals
- Communicate effectively in order to facilitate working meetings, using techniques such as active listening and negotiation. Tailor communication style to suit both face-to-face and virtual settings including web meetings and conference calls.
- Work with their team to ensure they have a complete understanding of the technical requirements relating to each user need.
At Prudential we work hard to create an environment that enables everyone to flourish and we actively encourage diversity across the business.
We also understand that your working pattern may need to be tailored to suit you - please let us know if you'd like to discuss a flexible working arrangement.