At M&G our vision is: to become the best loved and most successful savings and investment business
and we're looking for people who are excited about joining us on our journey. We're digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. To help us achieve our vision we're looking for exceptional people who live our values and behaviours and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements or home working arrangements for any of our roles. What you can expect from us:
We are committed to creating an environment where you can be exceptional at all you do. To help us deliver this, we promise to:
How do we support our employees:
- Challenge Your Limits by creating a stimulating working environment and providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed
- Value Your Input whereby leaders and managers will involve you in key decisions, listen to your thoughts and recognise the important contribution you make
- Balance Your Life through a work life partnership that focuses on making this an inclusive, diverse and friendly place to work and offers the flexibility and support that enables everyone to be at their best
All M&G plc employees will be supported in the workplace through our M&G Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). If you need counselling, confidential financial or legal advice. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and offers access to qualified professionals who can provide specialist information, advice and support on many issues. It offers a broad range of services, including help with family issues, maintaining work/life balance and mental health support. Role title: Thunderhead Engineer The Role:
We're digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. We're working hard to build a technology foundation fit for a modern digital, insight-led, responsive business. As part of this exciting transformation we are looking for Thunderhead-skilled developers to work with us in our Agile Studio across the UK.
We promote a supportive, diversified, international environment with an engineering culture we're proud of. We encourage personal growth and invest in open-minded engineers keen on learning, who continuously try to make things better. Key Work Level Accountabilities: Experienced Colleague:
- Accountable for providing a quality service or product to customers and stakeholders, using skills/experience built through significant practical experience or training
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- For team leaders, accountable for ensuring the team the role supports is delivering a quality service or product
- Works within established frameworks and procedures, with the freedom to interpret them to solve a range of problems
- Delivers outputs that are clearly defined, using discretion over how to achieve them
- Makes suggestions for improvements to the work of the team, based on previous experience and knowledge of similar situations
You want to take a key role on our teams and help us deliver awesome features
- You have been working within a team using Thunderhead to deliver value for your customers
- You are good at troubleshooting and finding optimal solutions.
Key Skills and Experience
- You understand Agile practices like Scrum and Kanban, and DevOps principles, and have practical experience of at least one.
- You love collaboration and want to practice techniques like pair programming or mobbing and want to actively engage with our engineering community on defining standards and guidelines.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 3+ years using SmartCOMM
- Strong understanding of SmartCOMM or Thunderhead concepts & development
- Sound knowledge about SmartCOMM Modules - Data Modeler, Advanced Template Designer and Web Editor
- Sound knowledge of Smart Communications Appliance Configuration and Deployment Models (Cloud/Hybrid)
- Sound knowledge in generating Interactive communications (Draft Editor, Data Capture, ipdf's)
- Good knowledge about Thunderhead/Smart Communication API's
- Should be well versed with preparation of the XML data schema and their mapping to business data objects
- Authoring business templates as per the business requirements
- Consolidating form templates, recognizing common graphical elements, information blocks, layouts, variable data requirements, functional similarity and multilingual
- Developing and documenting forms designs and form specifications, including form usage and derivation rules, data mapping, variable logic, templates, styles, layout etc.
- Should be well versed in creation of Static Layouts for Print and Responsive Layouts for Web
- Technical knowledge in creating Simple, Scriptable Batch Config/Template Selector and Output Configurations for post processing
- Expertise on Java/J2EE, JSON, Web services is desirable
What We Use
- Experience on any other CCM tool is desirable
- Technical expertise on Release Process and automated CI/CD pipelines of code through path to production.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to give optional solutions
For information - these are some of the frameworks, tools and technologies in our stack, but other experience is welcome:
- Spring Boot for our microservices ecosystem.
- Cosmos DB on Microsoft Azure with MongoDB API.
- React for our Design System and SPAs.
- Openshift orchestration and containerization.
- Azure DevOps for Repos, CI and Release pipelines.
- SonarQube and Checkmarx for static code analysis and security scanning on both the frontend and the backend.
Recruiter: Frazer Wilson
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others - Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed
- Embrace Change - Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas
- Deliver Results - Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination
- Keep it Simple - Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things