- Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
- Permanent, Full time
- 21 Apr 19
Join us in Edinburgh as a Data Engineer
- If you're an experienced developer, looking for a new challenge in a forward looking environment, this is an excellent opportunity to join our Data Engineering team in Personal Banking Finance
- You'll be using your technical expertise to take a leading role in Extract, Transform, Load (ETL) development work in our MI function
- The MI team are implementing new data and associated technology to the wider finance function in line with the cutting edge transformations seen across the wider finance, technology and data industry, and the work you do will have a genuine impact on the wider goal of building a better bank
What you'll do
As a Data Engineer, you'll proactively drive and enhance our core data infrastructure. This will involve data sourcing, building ETL processes, undertaking automated code-quality assessment, and applying performance tuning. You'll design, develop and deliver technical solutions, keeping the customer experience at the forefront of your actions
In the course of your work you'll also:
- Collaborate with a range of development, testing and business teams, to formulate the best possible design and solution options
- Make use of agile and rapid delivery mechanisms throughout the development process
- Design and deliver reusable components, ensuring quality, robustness, and flexibility
- Construct and improve existing build and unit test automation practices
- Ensure that the software components adhere to our business's delivery standards and are aligned with the vision set by the Architecture and Design team
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone who can combine the necessary technical skills required for the role with strong and adaptable communication skills and team focus. Along with an understanding of stable, scalable systems that have been successfully deployed in a business setting, you'll have a passion for technology and a focus on the customer experience. You'll work well in a team, and you'll be motivated to achieve results in a fast-paced environment.
You'll also require experience in data transformation and lean engineering principles, as well as writing complex SQL queries and tuning low performing Informatica PowerCenter workflows.
You'll also need to be able to foster collaboration, and build trust among colleagues and stakeholders.
Having a good understanding of financial services is preferable.
As well as this, you'll demonstrate:
- Experience working with project managers and/or scrum masters, and providing accurate estimates for development work
- The ability to communicate clearly and persuasively on technical matters, and to translate business challenges into effective programme solutions
- Experience of ETL technical design, development and support
- Experience working within an Agile development practice, and with Big Data (Hadoop)
- Experience in Python, Java or Spark- desirable but not essential
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At RBS, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.