Actuarial Specialist - 12 month Fixed Term Contract
At M&G our vision is: to become the best loved and most successful savings and investment business
and we're looking for people who are excited about joining us on our journey. We're digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. To help us achieve our vision we're looking for exceptional people who live our values and behaviours and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements or home working arrangements for any of our roles. What you can expect from us:
We are committed to creating an environment where you can be exceptional at all you do. To help us deliver this, we promise to:
How do we support our employees:
- Challenge Your Limits by creating a stimulating working environment and providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed
- Value Your Input whereby leaders and managers will involve you in key decisions, listen to your thoughts and recognise the important contribution you make
- Balance Your Life through a work life partnership that focuses on making this an inclusive, diverse and friendly place to work and offers the flexibility and support that enables everyone to be at their best
All M&G plc employees will be supported in the workplace through our M&G Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). If you need counselling, confidential financial or legal advice. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and offers access to qualified professionals who can provide specialist information, advice and support on many issues. It offers a broad range of services, including help with family issues, maintaining work/life balance and mental health support. We are actively recruiting for several Actuary positions, both permanent and fixed term contract opportunities. These positions can be based in Edinburgh/Stirling/London. We are fully equipped to recruit and onboard new hires remotely with a view to a flexible working pattern between the office and home in future. Actuary/Actuarial Specialist - Pillar 3 and Solvency Monitoring 12 month fixed term contract opportunity The Role:
This role sits within the Financial Reporting team. The role holder will be expected to contribute to supporting the financial strength of the business by successfully balancing the competing demands of commerciality and prudence in a well governed and controlled environment. In addition, the role holder will be expected to contribute to the creation of an agile team which is responsive to changing market conditions and customer requirements and the delivery of efficient and optimised processes.
This role requires a qualified or part-qualified actuary who has practical experience of Solvency II and IFRS financial reporting. The focus of the role is that of a technical specialist at this level that will either be taking accountability for components of a complex process or designing and developing new or improved solutions to meet business objectives.
The role will include the opportunity to:
Key Work Level Accountabilities: Experienced Colleague:
- Develop an understanding of the management of the balance sheet.
- Develop a deep knowledge of the business through the financial reporting and ongoing solvency monitoring.
- Develop an understanding of how the commercial and regulatory environment impacts the company's solvency position
- Work with colleagues across with other areas within Finance and Risk to support delivery of financial reporting in line with regulatory deadlines especially Pillar 3 QRTs.
- Deliver and develop the analysis and reporting of valuation results ensuring results are well-explained and accurately communicated to senior stakeholders
- Support projects, for example helping to deliver the reporting solution for IFRS17.
- Develop solutions to improve the efficiency of processes and the quality of outputs.
Key Responsibilities for this role:
- Accountable for providing a quality service or product to customers and stakeholders, using skills/experience built through significant practical experience or training
- For team leaders, accountable for ensuring the team the role supports is delivering a quality service or product
- Works within established frameworks and procedures, with the freedom to interpret them to solve a range of problems
- Delivers outputs that are clearly defined, using discretion over how to achieve them
- Makes suggestions for improvements to the work of the team, based on previous experience and knowledge of similar situations
Key Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- Produce and be accountable for the technical accuracy of financial information to support the production of actuarial analysis and reports.
- Provide specialist technical advice and guidance on the application of actuarial principles and tools to support business objectives, coaching and guiding less experienced members of the team.
- Provide technical expertise to design technical solutions as part of change projects within Finance Reporting where required.
- Good technical actuarial knowledge, with attention to detail
- Coding and automation skills and experience of improving processes built in Microsoft Excel desirable
- Experience of analytics and production of results in tools such as PowerBI.
- Motivated and willing to take responsibility and ownership of the work assigned
- Demonstrable experience of problem solving and providing practical solutions to complex problems
- Commercial aptitude and the ability to consider the impact of decisions
- Strong commercial and collaboration skills
- Ability to express own viewpoint and to communicate clearly on complex actuarial issue
- Knowledge of the business and/ or Solvency II and/ or IFRS financial reporting experience would be an advantage, however on-the-job training will be provided to successful candidate.
Work Level: Experienced Colleague
Recruiter Name: Emma Pryde
Closing Date: 14th April 2021
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others - Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed
- Embrace Change - Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas
- Deliver Results - Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination
- Keep it Simple - Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things