EU Make-On-Demand Senior Engineer
At Amazon, we're working to be the most customer-centric company on earth. To get there, we need exceptionally talented, bright, and driven people. We are looking for a MOD Engineer who will have the responsibility to drive the MOD business to the next level in his/her geography (e.g. Europe or North America). The role is part of a Global Engineering team but requires frequent travels in his/her geography.
This position requires a candidate with the proven ability to drive process improvements and the ability to keep pace with our explosive growth while motivating others to meet the challenges of an extremely deadline-driven environment.
Purpose of the job:
The MOD Engineer is the technical expert in the network for his/her appointed "Manufacturing-On-Demand" (MOD) technology. He/she owns the completion of technical projects related to his/her MOD technology while working with multiple stakeholders. His/her main areas of responsibilities are the following:
• Research and develop the latest MOD technology
• Drive Factory-Acceptance-Test and Site-Acceptance-Test to qualify new MOD technology
• Drive all required certifications (safety, environmental, etc) for any new technology in his/her region, including regulatory certification as well as additional Amazon expectations
• Once qualified, deploy new MOD technology in existing MOD sites of his/her region
• Lead the implementation of capacity expansion projects in his/her region
• Provide technical expertise to support WW Design Engineering and Engineering Services in designing and building any new MOD facilities in his/her region ("greenfield project" or project involving Tenant Improvement Permitting)
• Drive continuous improvement on the existing technology in his/her region with the support of the MOD vendors
The role requires the ability to deal with ambiguity due to the nature of the Manufacture-On-Demand business:
- The MOD technology is unique within the Amazon organization. The MOD Engineer must be able to work under high autonomy, and ready to go beyond his own boundaries and coordinate multiple independent stakeholders to successfully lead his MOD projects.
- The MOD technology is a fast moving area with constant new innovation, driving opportunities for faster, cheaper and more flexible processes. The MOD Engineer needs to follow the trends of the new technology, and drive Amazon-specific trials with the suppliers to promote the future technology improvement in the MOD facilities.
- The MOD organization is structured under a global network, with global Operations & Engineering standards. The MOD Engineer must reinforce these standards in the existing facilities, and must comply with them supporting the design of a new facility.
- The MOD organization is a fast paced environment with stretched schedule between business decision and actions. The MOD Engineer must be ready to travel and work hands-on to ensure immediate and good decision making process.
- The MOD Engineer is working with a wide variety of people and organization, both in EU and in the US. He/she needs to develop good relationships with all his stakeholders while working remotely on the majority of his topics since he/she cannot be on every site every week.
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS • A completed Bachelor's Degree in a technical or manufacturing discipline from an accredited university, or 2+ years Amazon experience in Operations
• Proven skills in people management with direct reports, upper management and remote peers
• Excellent communications skills (written & verbal) in English
• Experience in recruiting and building organization for a new facility
• Experience with performance metrics, process improvements, and Lean Manufacturing tools & principles
• Ability to travel up to 60-70% of the time.
• Experience with creating a project budget through to WP approval.
• Experience in defining categories for project funding
• Experience with Full design & layout drawing's
• Proven Experience with large scale project schedule building & working with General Contractors
• Proven Experience with providing equipment design scope
• Proven Experience with working to challenging timelines, including program acceleration if the business needs.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS • Technical or operational knowledge on digital-printing & drying technologies
• Leading new Engineering design projects from scope to implementation
• Lean Manufacturing expertise (OEE, TPM, Kaizen, SMED, HOSHIN)
• Track records in Operations & Quality management in fast moving and/or complex environment
• Experience in multi-site and cross-functional responsibilities
• Degree in technical, Operations or related field and MBA preferred
• Ability to handle changing priorities and use good judgment in stressful situations
• 5+ years management experience in a manufacturing or distribution environment