Investments Compliance Advisory Manager
- Bristol, England, United Kingdom Bristol England GB
- Permanent, Full time
- 17 Mar 18 2018-03-17
See job description for details
We're looking for an Investments Compliance Advisory Manager to join us in Bristol
- This role in Private Banking Advisory will place you at the heart of the Private and Retail Banking businesses' key strategic aim to develop a market-leading investment proposition
- You'll provide sound, relevant and timely regulatory and policy advice in response to regulatory change, business change, and process or control weakness among others
- We'll rely on you to partner with the Investments business, providing appropriate challenge where necessary, escalating to the Head of Investments Advisory where activity does not align to the bank's conduct risk appetite or policies
What you'll do
This key compliance advisory role will make you a valuable partner to the Investments business which services our Private and Retail Banking franchises. You'll identify and interpret relevant FCA and European rules and RBS policies, and will provide regulatory and policy advice, information and guidance on how the rules impact the Investments business. You'll oversee management decision making on rule and policy implementation, providing trusted advice and recommendations which balance the needs of the business, with conduct risk appetite, customer interest and the need for sustainable business growth. In doing so you will build a broad range of stakeholder relationships, and will foster trust and openness.
Key responsibilities in your role will include:
- Providing practical advice to the Investments business on all relevant FCA and European regulatory rules
- Identifying key compliance issues, and reporting them on time and in an appropriate style using regular management reporting, and using your judgement to decide when to escalate outside of process
- Recommending potential solutions to conduct issues
- Being constantly alert to issues which may impact the business's compliance with its conduct risk appetite; proactively engaging key stakeholders to prevent potential issues from crystallising
- Remaining up-to-date on the developing regulatory agenda and regulatory changes impacting the Investments business, including interpreting new regulations and rules, analysing and identifying their impact on the Private and Retail Banking franchises
- Providing robust challenge to the Investments business where risks are outside of appetite
The skills you'll need
We're looking for someone with strong knowledge of the UK regulatory environment (both FCA and European) applying to the manufacture and distribution of investments in a retail context including the FCA Handbook (eg COBS (suitability, appropriateness, best execution etc), COLL etc) and associated European rules, including MiFID and AIFMD etc. You'll also have a good understanding of: (i) the relevant products including structured products, equities, ETPs, fixed income, options, futures and FX; and (ii) distribution mechanisms and associated controls, including traditional and automated investment advice, discretionary managed services and execution only.
We'll also expect:
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, allowing you to communicate messages succinctly
- The ability to envisage multiple solutions to questions posed by regulation or business change, and to offer recommendations in a clear and pragmatic manner
- Well practiced stakeholder engagement and management; the ability to build trust and provide sound pragmatic advice
- The temperament to respond to challenge and resistance
- Sound judgement in identifying risks and priorities, and escalating issues
- The ability to effectively manage multiple priorities and deliverables at once
How we'll reward you
In return, we offer a competitive salary plus 30% cash and benefit funding programme that can be tailored to suit your individual needs. In addition, we provide a wide selection of exclusive lifestyle offers, development and learning programmes, services and support designed to help you manage and balance your work/life priorities.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.
At Coutts, we want everyone to feel welcome, regardless of your background or needs. If you need adjustments making to your working environment, we'll do everything we can to support you. As part of this commitment, we offer flexible working options for some of our roles - find out more .
As a Financial Services organisation we comply with and support the requirements set by our Regulator, the Financial Conduct Authority (FCA), which are designed to protect our customers. This role falls under Conduct Rules of the Individual Accountability Regime (IAR) and is subject to pre-employment screening. This means if your application is successful, you'll need to satisfy some important background checks before you can start working with us. These will include a full credit check, a criminal record check, residency and right to work checks.