Principal DevOps Engineer
Join us as a Principal Engineer
What you'll do
- This is a great opportunity to join a leading financial services company looking to become a fast moving, digital organisation with an engineering led culture in the Change & Technology function
- You'll be helping us create a sustainable, demonstrable DevOps capability addressing all aspects of people, process, technology and metrics across the Commercial & Private Banking (CPB) domains
- You'll benefit from fantastic exposure across the CPB franchise and the bank-wide areas, as well as new collaborative tools including video conferencing to really promote flexible and distributed working
As Principal Engineer, you'll have the opportunity to champion the engineering led culture in our Technology function as you produce high quality software that adds value to the business and provides customers with new features and products. In close collaboration with the Domain Lead and product and release managers, you'll be determining the design and delivery approach for your platform's software throughout its life.
You'll create and manage the DevOps roadmap and best practice assets, while fostering a collaborative environment to enable domains to accelerate their DevOps journey.
Your role will also include:
The skills you'll need
- Working across the lifecycle, from requirements analysis to design, through coding to testing, deployment and operations
- Continually improving the performance of the software by evaluating and analysing key metrics
- Acting as the custodian of the tooling standards, common frameworks and current state of DevOps maturity across the franchise
- Creating and operating the community of practice on DevOps for CPB and acting as a coach for the community
- Liaising with the Domain Architect and other key stakeholders to understand how the domain works, how it supports business objectives and the role of the platform plays within this
To succeed in this role, you'll have hands on experience with DevOps tools and pipelines across the lifecycle including operations. You'll have previously influenced and shaped DevOps approaches for large development teams, and will have a good understanding of constraints in operating in a regulated entity.
We'll also need you to have significant experience in software engineering, software or database design and in leading software development teams in a matrix structure.
Additionally, you'll demonstrate:
How we'll reward you
- Significant experience in Agile ways of working and the development lifecycle
- Significant experience of test-driven development alongside the use of automated test frameworks, mocking and unit testing tools
- Strong experience of implementing programming best practice
- Experience of working with code repositories, bug tracking tools and wikis
- An in-depth knowledge of large scale database and no-SQL design and optimisation
- The ability to rapidly and effectively understand and translate product and business requirements into technical solutions
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to communicate complex technical concepts clearly to your peers and management level colleagues
In return, we offer a competitive salary and you'll also join our retirement savings plan. You can also choose from a selection of protection, healthcare or lifestyle extras from RBSelect, our fully flexible reward programme.
Visit our reward and benefits page for more information on the benefit packages we offer.